'73 Chevelle SS Wagon (local find)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lil'm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
1979 1980
Truck Model
K10 shorts
Engine Size
I`d be dragging that car home then, asking for forgiveness. :Caffeine:
I think Valentine's Day is coming up. Just put a big red heart on it & surprise her.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Just a warning , if you want to try a tape in it, do NOT use a good tape...like CCR or 3 Dog Night...use an old junk tape just to make sure it works properly and doesn't "eat" it

For sure! It won't see the good stuff until it's known to be working well.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Saw this on another site:

You must be registered for see images attach

Edit: I guess I didn't realize the striping was different between the El Camino and the wagon (passenger cars) until just now.

Good shot of the turbine wheels, though.

K

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Love the turbine wheels. Really want to run turbine wheels on something before I’m too old to drive lol

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Nobody gives those away anymore. I wonder if there's even any manufacturers of them now?

Most places that sell cigarettes have matches. You just need to ask for them.

D.D. Bean & Sons are the brand Wawa markets provides.

https://ddbean.com/

Knight84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Damn if I don't love me a classic wagon and an El camino. Wife hates both, but loves Squarebodys

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
It's cool and rare, but not in the best shape. So offer the guy a grand or two (depending on how good the drivetrain is etc) and see what he says. Don't waste money, but if you can get it dirt cheap it's worth it.

The last thing you need is another rusty project, but the first thing you want is this car... If it's cheap enough to afford no sweat, then you can easily justify it to yourself because even if you don't get to it right away it's not going anywhere once you buy it. And these cars aren't getting any less rare. When else will you have the chance to get a car like this without going out of your way to find/buy one?

If I saved every cool car that I sold cheap or scrapped over the years I'd be about $3-5K poorer than I am now, but I would be so much happier, and who knows maybe 20 years from now I'd be a few hundred grand richer. Or at least no poorer than I am now. But now that I look back, if I try to re-buy any of those cars, I will be tens of thousands in debt easily...

This is why I want to get a decent sized metal building put up somewhere on some cheap land... I'd love to be able to throw money away here or there and just have some decent storage to put them in for the day when I can enjoy them or restore and sell them or something.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Probably gonna be the "or something". Time has a nasty habit of slipping by. No matter how much you want to get things done, you really have to WORK at it. Some folks have the perseverance to get it done, most don't. Seems like there is always"something" going on to foil your best laid "plans". The older you get the worse it is..........trust me!!!!

SK 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
AWESOME :cool:

I had a feeling you would eventually end up with this car. As soon as it warms up a little, I'm coming over to check it out. And it's really cool that you have discovered so much of the history of it

CoggedBelt75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Probably gonna be the "or something". Time has a nasty habit of slipping by. No matter how much you want to get things done, you really have to WORK at it. Some folks have the perseverance to get it done, most don't. Seems like there is always"something" going on to foil your best laid "plans". The older you get the worse it is..........trust me!!!!
X2. Now it seems the fast forward button is stuck. And no pause button option either.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
As was promised, I got started on modifying the bumper fitment before the car even leaves the trailer.

Then I got curious about how well a squarebody bumper may fit.

^ I actually think I could make that work, with some cutting and welding of course. That may be a project for another day.

But once it was off, I got to work getting everything unbolted from the bumper. Some bolts came right out, while others snapped right off. Go figure. The studs for the rub strip (which also retain the upper support bracket) looked super ugly. Ain't no way they were going to come out, especially since they were held in place by the rotted rub strip.

But, every last one just zipped right out.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Here's what the rub strip stud mounting looked like:

They are just laying here, but this is the stock orientation for the bumper brackets.

I've read that to tuck the bumper on a '73, all you have to do is switch the 'upright' brackets side to side and install them backwards. But I'm running into a serious fitment issue in doing so.

Apparently I lack the competence to tuck a bumper on a '73, lol. Now I'm off to go read some more at G3GM to see where I focked up...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike