73/79 clip onto an 81

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TomC

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ive read several posts and I think I’ve got a good idea what it takes to swap a 73 to 79 clip onto my 81.
I will need to figure out the hood hinges, remove the cowl cover, redo windshield wipers, need to swap inner fender wells, I’ll build a new winch bumper, and maybe redo the radiator support mounts.
Other than this is there anything else ?

Also if someone has a pick or can describe how to deal with the hood hinges that would be very helpful.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
you can cimply unbolt the wiper cowl from the 81 and up and remove the plastic screen. Then swap the wiper linkage to th eolder style. You can cover the holes in the cowl where the old hood hinge went into or maybe leave it open?

botl on the 73-80 outers, inners, radiator support. No need to redo mounts just use the bushings that match the frame if it's an 81-87 frame use those if it's a 73-80 frame they are different and you'd use them. I assume it's an 81 and up frame.

The older style hood hinges bolt completely on the fenders, so get those and bolt em on. Gotta use that style hood the hinges and springs. Then of course for looks you'd want the right bumper or aftermarket. Mounts aren't really much different I see guys use both style bumpers on both style fronts all the time. I hear if you have single headlights you are good to run with that just hook em to the round lights if not then you need to do a lil wiring or swap it.

Also the hood latch and release some of the olders use front mount latch and no inside release so need to figure that part out if it's outside release the run it. If it's inside I'm not sure if you can reuse the stock 81 and up pull cable or not. My guess there would be get all the older inside release parts.

You may run into fan shroud issues not sure ifso same thing might have to fab or make something work or get the older fans shroud.

I have not done this swap yet but plan to soon.

Termite_Delight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
1976 1975
Truck Model
K2500 K2500
Engine Size
350 L33
I cut the cowl where the hinge fits on the '86 donor cab & replaced it with part of my '76
You must be registered for see images attach

TomC

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks, that really helps. I just like the earlier grill, etc. way better than my 81.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
same here love the round headlight look alot better

Termite_Delight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
1976 1975
Truck Model
K2500 K2500
Engine Size
350 L33
The top fender bolt holes are about 3/16" out on the earlier cabs, the wiper mount is in the same location but has different bolt holes. Also hinge mounting and safety pin for the earlier hood. That's why i decided to replace the whole part. You could ream out the hole on the fender to compensate if you want to use the '81 bolt location.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I want to replace the cab on my roundeye 80 with one from a 82, so swapping the clip will be the same as above, but will the the cab mounts on the 82 cab line up with the 80 frame?

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I want to replace the cab on my roundeye 80 with one from a 82, so swapping the clip will be the same as above, but will the the cab mounts on the 82 cab line up with the 80 frame?

they are supposed to but as above you using a 80 and older frame use the 80 and older bushing kits that's what everyone says.

as for that bolt hole being off, did not know that, good to know and I'll enlarge mine, I'm gonna have japan repops for fender anyways.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The top fender bolt holes are about 3/16" out on the earlier cabs, the wiper mount is in the same location but has different bolt holes. Also hinge mounting and safety pin for the earlier hood. That's why i decided to replace the whole part. You could ream out the hole on the fender to compensate if you want to use the '81 bolt location.

Those are some often overlooked details. When I did mine, I just chose to slot the fenders and drill new holes in the cowl. It works fine if you aren't building a show truck. When it comes time to paint, I had just planned on blowing the truck all apart again and welding up all the old holes. But I like your method better, lol. Now to locate a donor...

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I slapped this one on dad's 84 today it lined up perfect but it is a japan repop and was installed on another truck so maybe they slotted it?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I definitely had to slot my nos GM fenders.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I definitely had to slot my nos GM fenders.

OMG nos gm fenders man. I know a local guy has one but geeeze them aint cheap good money in anything gm nos lol

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
OMG nos gm fenders man. I know a local guy has one but geeeze them aint cheap good money in anything gm nos lol

They are the ones I put on my stepside truck a while back. I got them and the nos doors for a crazy low price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianbones