700R4 tranny

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
aslong as you have the proper number of clutches and steels, and the gap is correct it wont matter.

You're right, but on a Th350 for sure, no matter which one of the selective pressure plates you use, you will NOT get all the clutches and steels in a drum IF it has the 6 cylinder piston in the drums. What some guys will do, is mill down the pistons to accept the V8 clutch packs, and sometimes they'll mill them even further to accept an extra clutch over the standard V8 clutch packs.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
You're right, but on a Th350 for sure, no matter which one of the selective pressure plates you use, you will NOT get all the clutches and steels in a drum IF it has the 6 cylinder piston in the drums. What some guys will do, is mill down the pistons to accept the V8 clutch packs, and sometimes they'll mill them even further to accept an extra clutch over the standard V8 clutch packs.

Agreed, Although you still have limitations of how far you can mill them, otherwise you take to much material away and the groove for the seals will become to weak to hold up to any amount of pressure.

J oops

Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Burban
Engine Size
6.2L Diesel
1. Torque converter for an inline 6 is a lower stall. If it was a V6 than it would be a higher stall compared to the V8.
2. 700R4 for a Inline 6 has different shift points (lower) than the V8. This 700R4 will shift at low RPM's, to low for the V8. You do not want play with the govenor either, to change shift points because its matched to the valve body (specifically the 1-2 valve) The pressures are all going to be wrong vs the RPM and horsepower that are coming from the V8.
3. Get a 700R4 that came from a V8, add the corvette servo and you should be good for a stock 350.
4. If your going to add goodies to the V8 and suupe it up- look into a Dana shift kit from Pro Built Automatics. Dana specializes in the 700R4, 4L60E transmissions. Make sure you add the better 3-4 clutch pack also, thats what most commonly goes out in these transmissions.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'll agree Dana knows his stuff, but I'll also say, be prepared for a pain in the wallet. His prices are fairily steep.

Upgrading the 3-4 clutch pack to your preference of the Alto pack, or the Raysbestos Z pack is always good advice since that clutch pack is a common failure. I'm just not 100% convinced its the most common failure. It would be a toss up of the 3-4 clutch pack failure and the broken sun shell failure. Many times the 3-4 pack failure is preventable with proper TV cable adjustment and/or keeping the trans cooler and trans serviced every 50K miles or so.

J oops

Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Burban
Engine Size
6.2L Diesel
If your buying the whole rebuild kit, then yes Dana's prices are high. I just buy his shift kit, 3-4 clutch pack and sonnax over drive servo from him. Other parts I will get from transmissioncenter.net (PATC).
The normal rebuild kit, I just look for the best deal on a kit that includes the steels in them.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've gotten some real good deals from transmisisonpartsusa.com out of FL. Even with shipping, they were much cheaper than even OK Trans Supply here in OKC. So I bought from them to try them out, and was very shocked at the good quality of parts, so I bought 4 more kits and again, was not let down in the least. Order on a Monday morning, I have the stuff on my porch Wednesday afternoon. All the famous name brands like Borg Warner, Raysbestos, Alto etc, and they also cary Sonnax parts along with Transgo and Mr Shift. Worth checking out if you wish.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dan87r10