700r4 revs too high before shifting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Thus just started all of the sudden today. Went to start the truck, started driving, put it in OD, and it would rev way up before shifting into second, same thing from second to third. Works not shift up to OD. Checked fluid level and color, both looked good. No burnt smell.

I can shift the lever thru all of the gears as normal.

Help?

Sent from my MB865 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Sounds like the tv cable needs to be adjusted.

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Would that just suddenly change like that without warning?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Put it in 3rd and see how it shifts.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
Regarding the TV cable adjustment, I recommend you follow the method laid out at www.bowtieoverdrives.com using a pressure gauge that is easily built. Any other method is guessing, and if you read the article, you'll see that the margin for error is nil.

Regarding the delayed shifts, my guess would be a particle of crud has gotten into the valve body. I believe 2nd and 4th us the same servo located in the side of the transmission, and can be changed out for the Corvette version, or other upgraded versions w/ the transmission still in situ. So either that isn't getting fluid pressure at the right time, or the o-rings/oil seals on that piston have split, and it's bleeding off pressure. I wouldn't drive it like that.

Here's what the servo looks like: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TCI-376003-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c75b9fe84&vxp=mtr

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Regarding the TV cable adjustment, I recommend you follow the method laid out at www.bowtieoverdrives.com using a pressure gauge that is easily built. Any other method is guessing, and if you read the article, you'll see that the margin for error is nil.

Regarding the delayed shifts, my guess would be a particle of crud has gotten into the valve body. I believe 2nd and 4th us the same servo located in the side of the transmission, and can be changed out for the Corvette version, or other upgraded versions w/ the transmission still in situ. So either that isn't getting fluid pressure at the right time, or the o-rings/oil seals on that piston have split, and it's bleeding off pressure. I wouldn't drive it like that.

Here's what the servo looks like: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TCI-376003-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c75b9fe84&vxp=mtr

I just spent an hour over there learning about the TCC setup, great info over there. Thanks for sharing that. I really had no idea the surface area of the lock up clutch in a lockup converter. Totally changed my mindset.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
Once I read that article, I made a pressure gauge and set the TC, even after the trans had been rebuilt, including a new TV cable, by a GM trained tech. Discovered the TV cable wasn't set correctly. Also discovered the throttle didn't got to WOT when the accelerator pedal was down on the floor. Go figure.

With the gauge, you can manually move the throttle plate and immediately see if the pressure responds.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Do you run a trans temp gauge too?

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
I do have trans temp gauge. It's a mechanical gauge bunged into the B&M cast aluminum, finned oil pan that holds an extra 3.5qts.

The line pressure gauge is simply a pressure gauge fitted to about 10' of hose, with the NPT fitting on the other end of the hose so that it can be screwed into the port on the driver's side of the transmission. The long hose allows the gauge to then be fed up into the engine compartment for adjustment of the TV cable.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I do have trans temp gauge. It's a mechanical gauge bunged into the B&M cast aluminum, finned oil pan that holds an extra 3.5qts.

The line pressure gauge is simply a pressure gauge fitted to about 10' of hose, with the NPT fitting on the other end of the hose so that it can be screwed into the port on the driver's side of the transmission. The long hose allows the gauge to then be fed up into the engine compartment for adjustment of the TV cable.

So you set it with the gauge while it is parked?

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size

This is a very informative link. I have mine set up according to the way it shifts and down shifts. I have been running it this way for 7 yrs. I think I will hook a gauge to it in the near future and see how well I've guessed at the set up.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thus just started all of the sudden today. Went to start the truck, started driving, put it in OD, and it would rev way up before shifting into second, same thing from second to third. Works not shift up to OD. Checked fluid level and color, both looked good. No burnt smell.

I can shift the lever thru all of the gears as normal.

Help?

Sent from my MB865 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

mine "sort of" did the same thing. It would shift at 15, 35 and 50 mph and no converter lockup.

my problem was that the contacts on the brake pedal plunger were not making contact in the pedal rest position. this was changing my shift points.

i cleaned the contacts and bent them a little and they went back to normal shifts of 15, 25, 35 and converter lockup at 45mph. how the pedal plunger modified the shift points is beyond me.

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
mine "sort of" did the same thing. It would shift at 15, 35 and 50 mph and no converter lockup.

my problem was that the contacts on the brake pedal plunger were not making contact in the pedal rest position. this was changing my shift points.

i cleaned the contacts and bent them a little and they went back to normal shifts of 15, 25, 35 and converter lockup at 45mph. how the pedal plunger modified the shift points is beyond me.
I think the brake switch unlocks the converter when depressed.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yes I know that. I said the plunger was not closing (making contact) so it remained open all the time therefore it never.allowed lockup.

Run wha'cha brung...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising