700R4 Rebuild cost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
I just had the 700 rebuilt in my suburban this winter. I pulled it and installed it but the rebuild was $700 with a 2 year warranty. Over 2 grand is crazy for a rebuild. Especially if the truck is 2wd, a guy with a lift can have it out it literally an hour or two tops. Think I had mine out in 2 hours with the truck just on jack stands. 4wd is a little more but with a lift it’s still no big deal. Maybe I’m lucky up here in the sticks but damn, can’t imagine that much for a rebuild.

Ben

vintovka

Reaction score
First Name
vin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
The inflation curve is way up on everything. When they give away $$$ expect it to go even faster. I see the 700r4 Loki shifter linkage i bought 2 years ago is like 50% higher now

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
I build my own transmissions whether it be automatic or manual. The last 700R4 I did for my son in law's '90 silverado was a stock type build with reman torque converter. Parts cost about $350 because it had some hard part damage. (he had a tendency to throw it into park when backing down the boat ramp) Because he's family I charged nothing. The last one I built for a parts guy at work was a stock type rebuild on a '91 Jimmy had about $250 in parts and in exchange for labor he paid me with a Colt 1911A1 .45

Last 700 work I needed was due to a snapped sunshell.

Revving her up and dumping it into gear didn't treat a 240k mile trans too good.

Costed a couple 100 in parts... Like 300 for a overhaul.

Rhett Croley

Reaction score
First Name
Rhett
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I've had two 700r4's built in the last 2 years. One for a 400hp small block and one for a 505hp 496 BBC. Both were built with heavy-duty clutches, both have corvette servos, both were built to handle the motor they mated up to. I removed, delivered, picked up and installed each one myself. Both were $800 from RPM transmission, Augusta GA. Both are holding up fine. 700r4's CAN be built to last, I'm a believer.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
The basic “overhaul kit” and stock low stall converter cost me around 300 bucks here. The basic overhaul kit will consist of the clutches, gaskets, steels, seals, the bare minimum to overhaul the trans. I don’t understand why the band isn’t included, as far as I’m concerned it should be replaced every time.

Please note, that 300 bucks doesn’t include performance or durability upgrades. Unless the trans is going behind a 4 or 6 cylinder engine, it’s pretty stupid not to upgrade the 3-4 clutch pack or install a wide band. Installing a new drive shell is also mandatory in my opinion, the 100 bucks saved won’t matter much when the original part strips 2 months later.

Add the cost of a spacer plate (almost always needed), accumulator pistons, bushings, and the cost of replacement part for whatever was damaged, it’s pretty easy to spend some serious money just in parts.

I can and have replaced the drive shell without a complete overhaul. If your careful, it can be done without removing the valve body. Most shops won’t do that. And it’s not hard to figure out why.

Suppose you take your truck in to a shop for a no reverse, 2or 4th gear? Classic symptoms of stripped drive shell. The shop replaces the shell, reinstalls the trans, and your back on the road and happy, until it starts to slip. The slipping might have absolutely nothing to do with the drive shell or the work done to replace it. However, you argue that the trans worked perfectly fine until the shell broke, now it needs overhauled?! It happens all the time. That’s why most shops cover their ass by suggesting a overhaul.

86suburbanNJ609

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I also am a believer I had a 700 built from Gear Star in Ohio the cost was 2500$ stage 2.5 2000 stall converter came with vacuum switch for lockup and ran 8qts dex6. Also sent 15k gvwr trans cooler it's running 373 gears 4x4 33inch tires DD I've put 10k miles on it and couldn't be happier with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cheify