1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

700R4 Rebuild cost

Discussion in 'Transmission & Transfer Case' started by 79Scott, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Wumbo

Wumbo Full Access Member

First Name:
    Rob
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C20
    Engine Size:
    That makes sense. Always check with engine running. There's a cold and hot level because the fluid expands when it heats up. Both levels are with the engine running, and trans in park.

2. 79Scott

79Scott Full Access Member

First Name:
    Scott
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C10-Silverado
    Engine Size:
    305ci
    All that makes sense to me but if it shows Full "hot" on the dipstick when the engine is off/cold but shows next to nothing while its warmed (I get the fluid is being pumped back into the converter) up why are there marks for cold on the low end of the dipstick? How many quarts should this transmission take if I was to go ahead and do a filter change?

Thanks Guys

3. Bextreme04

Bextreme04 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Eric
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K25
    Engine Size:
    350-4bbl
    You are getting yourself all confused. All transmissions are a little different. All GM automatic transmissions that I know of are checked running in park. Not all will have a "hot" and "cold" mark. Some will only have a crosshatch section that represents hot. Some will also have a small X section that represents cold fill line. That is so that you can check and properly fill it when cold before trying to drive it. How much your transmission takes on a change will depend on what transmission, whether it has a stock pan, and whether or not you have an external trans cooler of some kind. That's why it is always checked with the engine running. When the trans is running, you are pumping fluid all over the place. If you are pumping a couple quarts through the torque converter and cooler, you have less in the pan when its running and could be low.

4. yevgenievich

yevgenievich Full Access Member

First Name:
    Viktor
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    V2500 burb
    Engine Size:
    Cold represents engine running, but just started and not wormed up yet. Also would vote on staying far away from monster transmissions.

trukman1 and Vbb199 like this.
  5. gotyourgoat

gotyourgoat Full Access Member

First Name:
    gotyourgoat
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c10
    Engine Size:
    smokin' 305
    Jeebus this thread is terrifying for someone who usually throttles out to shift unless we're hammer down...:eek:

6. illmanners

illmanners Junior Member

First Name:
    Phil
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C-10
    Engine Size:
    If you cab get a 700R4 rebuilt for $800.00 where you live, I want to move to where you live cause even if I do the pull and install, the best price for a rebuild (700R4) in my area is $1500.00, plus convertor. Zero warranty without new convertor, aux cooler and new cooling lines.

7. Craig Nedrow

Craig Nedrow Full Access Member

First Name:
    Craig
    Truck Year:
    1973 (have two)
    Truck Model:
    K10 and k20
    Engine Size:
    My 700R4 cost $2000.00 to rebuild, with upgrades which include Alto red frictions, corvette servo, 5 gear sprag? I would do it myself next time. I have taken my trans out a few times, takes a 4 foot extension, and a swivel, and maybe a friend to help with the top bolts. Easier on a lift.....

8. vintovka

vintovka Junior Member

First Name:
    vin
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    k10
    Engine Size:
    I got mine done for $1400 in Coos Bay OR . Even added a special down shift control. That was 2018. Thanks to what is becoming runaway inflation the price of everything goes up daily. Also the number of licensed mechanics is shrinking due to several factors. The "non-demic" for one and the legalization of pot for another. The latter has cost the jobs of dozens who cannot work any more as Workmans Comp has them nationally listed as failing drug test. One shop has hourly prices written on a white board so they can be changed at any time. Currently highest is $135/hr!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Vbb199

Vbb199 B-rate Hillbilly Customs Supporting Member

First Name:
    Vince
    Truck Year:
    91, 89, 87
    Truck Model:
    91 Blazer V1500- "K5ton", 87 K10 Suburban, 89 Suburban R1500
    Engine Size:
    502, 350, 350

I'm interested to know about the experience with monster in a box.

10. 79Scott

79Scott Full Access Member

First Name:
    Scott
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C10-Silverado
    Engine Size:
    305ci
    Thanks Guys! It makes sense to me now.

11. Kim Burke

Kim Burke Full Access Member

First Name:
    Kim
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C1500
    Engine Size:
    I had my trans rebuilt twice. 1300 first go around and 1000 second time with a shift kit.
    202 Transmission in Mesa. Ron is really good.
    I know this has been said ad nauseum, the throttle positioning cable has to be adjusted correctly with the correct geometry to the throttle cable. The transmission with burn up the 3-4 clutch discs quickly. More power = more heartache if not right.

Poppy 87 likes this.
  12. Poppy 87

Poppy 87 Supporting Member Supporting Member

First Name:
    John
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    R10 Silverado
    Engine Size:
    I build my own transmissions whether it be automatic or manual. The last 700R4 I did for my son in law's '90 silverado was a stock type build with reman torque converter. Parts cost about $350 because it had some hard part damage. (he had a tendency to throw it into park when backing down the boat ramp) Because he's family I charged nothing. The last one I built for a parts guy at work was a stock type rebuild on a '91 Jimmy had about $250 in parts and in exchange for labor he paid me with a Colt 1911A1 .45

13. trukman1

trukman1 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Gary
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K5 Blazer
    Engine Size:
    5.7 L (350)
    In my area, Dayton, OH, it's pretty consistent at around $1700 for remove, rebuild and replace or $800-900 for just rebuild only. Why so much for remove and install I can't figure out. Evidently, labor is more than the parts which is the way it seems to be with anything automotive nowadays.

14. Craig Nedrow

Craig Nedrow Full Access Member

First Name:
    Craig
    Truck Year:
    1973 (have two)
    Truck Model:
    K10 and k20
    Engine Size:
    Now that is the kind of payment I like!

15. 85 CA SIERRA 1500

85 CA SIERRA 1500 Full Access Member

First Name:
    TRACEY
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    SIERRA CLASSIC
    Engine Size:
    Hi To All,,,,,,
    This thread is not the first that I have heard of folks not satisfied with Monster Transmissions,,,yes they do have good Youtube videos,,,,but I am concerned about the actual work and reliability of their transmissions.
    Has any one here done business with BowTieOverdrives in Hesperia, Ca.,,,,,,can anyone comment on their quality and service?
    I ask because I am considering them for a 700r4 upgrade when my TH350 gives up,,,,,really like the idea of a deeper 1st gear, lock-up converter and overdrive 4th because I am planning on changing the rear axle from a 2.73 to a 3.73 or bigger, I want more pulling power and off the line response but still be able to keep up with freeway traffic.
    All the best,
    Tracey>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>