700r4 puker!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MR.BLACKC10

Reaction score
First Name
GABE
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
hey there i was wondering if someone can help me make an informed decision here my 700r4 supposedly has less 80.000 on it and it puked fluid out the dipstick tube a few times i sucked out some fluid and compared to new and it was slighty more fishier smelling a tad bit darker not much the conveter sounds likes its whirring almost and i cant get a an accurate reading on my dipstick id like to verify the stock lenght of a dipstick (not funnel) but i cant find any info on web or any books also at this point im considering pulling the tranny is there any test i can perform maybe check to see if the tranny was mounted properly she also shifting hard as hell from R to D and from D to R and when i drove her she felt like she didnt know when to shift i dont know what to do now this truck is beating me up

oopsman_09

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
sierra classic c1500
Engine Size
sounds to me like a rebuild is in your future. Though couldn't quite tell with the poor typing and bad grammar what you were trying to say. Try running some lucas through it. More than likely you need a rebuild.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Not sounding good brah !!! I have a feeling your trans is overheating, burning the fluid which explains the smell and getting darker fluid. Also explains why the trans fluid would foam up, expand and puke. Hard into gears can be valves hanging up in the valve body, and can also be worn or broken parts from clutch pistons traveling further and out of tolerance. But it does still have all gears??? I also wonder if the converter clutch isn't hanging up or trying to lock up when it's not supposed and that is what's causing the overheating and these other issues. It's going to be a chain reaction from here on out, but it sounds as if the damage is now done even if you do figure out the initial issue. Sorry to hear it brah. Don't give up on the truck. It's gonna love you soon for all your efforts.

MR.BLACKC10

Reaction score
First Name
GABE
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Oh boy!

Well thank you for the tips guys i did notice that the fluid felt a little hot i dont have a converter lock up switch and the transmission tech told me sometimes you dont need one but how would u know if you did i believe this 700r was made prior to 1985 it has a big K on it and no electronics i started and drove her this morning it didnt shift hard im hoping its the tv cable is in need of adjustment also my carb was set to high on idle and my el. choke isnt working ive read on this forum it could be tv cable so im working on it now (again) im hoping this fixes everything im really hoping this 700r4 holds up until i can get money to rebuild my old th350 i just found out that my edelbrock performer rpm intake is to much for my 305 intake must match cam so ill get my stock intake all cleaned out and ready anyone in this forum from NY?

MR.BLACKC10

Reaction score
First Name
GABE
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
i think i got it

thanx for the help guys i was chit chatting with my buddy who owns a sweet lifted 86 c10 i told my tranny trouble :anitoof: and i mentioned that i painted it he asked if i covered the airtube in paint and i said probably sure enough i did and when i cleaned it out she stopped over pressurerizing and puking out fluid thanks guys

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
thanx for the help guys i was chit chatting with my buddy who owns a sweet lifted 86 c10 i told my tranny trouble :anitoof: and i mentioned that i painted it he asked if i covered the airtube in paint and i said probably sure enough i did and when i cleaned it out she stopped over pressurerizing and puking out fluid thanks guys

Wow whooda thunk it??? :crazy:

Hopefully that's it though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay Don