700R4 Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bud LightYear

Reaction score
First Name
Bud
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Just purchased my first square body so I'm new to all of this and i have a 700R4 i wanna put in. Just curious what kind of problems i may face. The truck is an 87 R10 with a 305 and i believe the trans came out of an 85 firebird. Any info or help would be greatly appreciated.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
If your truck has a TH350 right now, and it has a 9" tailshaft, it's almost a direct swap, the driveshaft will work from your TH350 if it's the 9" tailshaft. You may need to modify your crossmember or drill new holes in the frame to get it in the right spot. You'll also want to make sure you have a good lockup wiring kit. My 1987 R10 came factory with a 700R4, and runs a high gear pressure switch (so the trans only locks up in 3rd/4th), and then a line for the actual activation command from the ECM. There are several aftermarket lockup kits you could run though that work just as well. Cooler lines should line up, I believe, but not 100% sure (though I'll find out...I'm going the other way around in a few weeks, swapping the 700R4 for a TH350).

Make sure to flush your cooler lines and cooler before you hook them up to the trans and add fluid.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
No problem. I forgot to mention that you will need the proper bracket for the TV cable. You should be able to get one off of any 700R4/TBI engined truck. If you don't have the proper bracket, you can burn up the trans in short order.

More info:

http://jakesperformance.com/TV_Cable_Setup_Info.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
strokedK15