700r4 3-2 shutter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
The quick answer is take it back to the rebuilder, but I am wondering what you all think it is before I do that. Im not a transmission guy at all. R&R and thats about it.

I have a 700r4 that over the summer developed a 3-2 shutter on medium to heavy acceleration. I couldnt reproduce it very well consistently.

Fast forward to last night. 3 -2 downshift while braking and coming to a stop, I can produce it almost all the time.

What things could it be?

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Make absolutely sure the TV cable is adjusted correctly. After that, it’s up to the builder to fix.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
The torque converter in my Caprice is well past its prime, and it’ll do this sometimes. The clutch inside shudders and chatters sometimes. Worst locked up in 4, plenty in 4-3, but sometimes even in 3-2. I put the red shudder fix stuff in it, and it helped a lot, but if you have a bad TV for whatever reason, you gotta take that back. You can try running it a little with the TCC unplugged and see if that helps you. I’ve got a torque converter, but the tranny has 280K miles, and I’m scared of pulling it just for the trans to cook a a few months later.

This is a long shot IMO, but I think it’s something to try.

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Make absolutely sure the TV cable is adjusted correctly. After that, it’s up to the builder to fix.

This thing has been running for ... 8 months and its been all of the sudden.

And I get there are drums, steels, clutches, bands, and servos. I get the bases for how they work. So When I say Im not a tranmission guy, I just dont KNOW them. Like the logistics to how it all works. such and such band holds so and so drum and that gives you first gear. Yeah, I dont know that stuff.

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Thanks guys. Yeah, it feels like torque converter lock up, but knowing that it isnt involved in a 3-2 down shift (but still knowing it could be a converter problem.) It has a warranty, I still have like 4 months on it. I dont want this transmission cooked. I was just looking to see about info. He will prob want to drive it to feel it, so Im not taking it apart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevbak88