6.5 mechanical hackjob won't run smoothly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Overthedge21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
M1010
Engine Size
6.2 Diesel
So as the title implies I have a bit of a weird monster here. I pulled a 6.2 outta my k30 that decided it didn't want cylinder 2 anymore, and was given a good deal on a 1997+ 6.5 that had a dead DS4 but low miles and good compression, plus I wanted the turbo for a turbo 6.2 idea. However I saw somehwere online that a 6.2 timing cover and db2 could be bolted to a 6.5 block, so I gave it a go. I know the pump is good as the 6.2 ran flawlessly with the exception of a bad cylinder. However, now that I have it in the 6.5 I can't get it to run right. I have tried a few things and have a few questions. Now I've had the timing assembly off the engine obviously to change the cover over. I am almost positive I timed the cam and crank correctly, and I would assume that if I was off it would've whacked a valve by now. However, I had to advance the pump drive gear 2 teeth on the cam gear in order to get this thing to run even remotely reasonably. So my main question there is, did the DS4 run a different timing than the db2 being that it was electronic, or is my cam 2 teeth off, though like I said I would've thought that would've hit something by now. It's a pain to get this thing to start as well, I have the pump retarded a bit on the case, thats the best I can get it to run right there, looking for ideas if there are any, or does this idea just flat out not work and I'm an idiot haha. Just trying to get this truck on the road for now so I can use it and collect parts for a cummins swap so once this engine lets go I'm ready, plan on using it for heavy towing and I know the Detroit won't survive forever but I don't have the money to grab a 12 valve and all the parts right now. Plus I've just always wanted to feel a turboed 6.2/6.5 in a square, never had the chance to before.
Here's a link to a video of what's going on
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Is that steam or exhaust coming out of the front water jacket?

Overthedge21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
M1010
Engine Size
6.2 Diesel
Is that steam or exhaust coming out of the front water jacket?
That's steam from the coolant that's trapped in the back of the black

Overthedge21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
M1010
Engine Size
6.2 Diesel
Im having a hard time even processing what i just watched
I take that as a partial compliment, I go by the saying "you can't do it wrong if nobody knows what youre doing"

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
On the flip side Sometimes what didn’t kill you... probably should have killed you.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
There are differences between the 6.2L mechanical and a 6.5L. Although none of it should be in the installation timing. The front end of all the engines is the same AFAIK. So I'm not sure why you changed all the timing stuff. There is an issue with the mechanical 6.2 pump vs the 6.5 mechanical pump. Also, there were changes in the injectors and lines that may affect operation. GM says you can just swap the 6.2 pump onto a 6.5, but most people have trouble with it.

One thing though, why is #1 not firing at idle? It looks like you have a dead miss at low speed. Maybe try swapping the injector with another cylinder and see if the problem moves.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
I take that as a partial compliment, I go by the saying "you can't do it wrong if nobody knows what youre doing"

I mean, im not a diesel guy, dont know a thing about them, i like 93 and 97 octane motors lol

im no expert, but it seems you're missing your intake and ...... exhaust manifolds? Or are they tightly tucked on the block?

Is there even oil in that thing? Or is the crank case just filled up to the top and you have the sump disabled?

I have so many questions, teach me the ways of no intake and exhaust manifolds.

Last edited:

Overthedge21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
M1010
Engine Size
6.2 Diesel
I mean, im not a diesel guy, i like 93 and 97 octane motors lol

im no expert, but it seems you're missing your intake and ...... exhaust manifolds? Or are they tightly tucked on the block?

Is there even oil in that thing? Or is the crank case just filled up to the top and you have the sump disabled?

I have so many questions, teach me the ways of no intake and exhaust manifolds.
Haha ok a diesel you don't need any of that, the fuel gets sprayed right into the cylinder as opposed to going through the intake so you don't need it for a diesel, and the exhausts don't do a ton for test runs either. Theres oil in it don't worry, again there's no open areas like a gas engine without an I take do you can run it, just have to have the oil cooler hooked up which I do, just can't see it

Overthedge21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
M1010
Engine Size
6.2 Diesel
There are differences between the 6.2L mechanical and a 6.5L. Although none of it should be in the installation timing. The front end of all the engines is the same AFAIK. So I'm not sure why you changed all the timing stuff. There is an issue with the mechanical 6.2 pump vs the 6.5 mechanical pump. Also, there were changes in the injectors and lines that may affect operation. GM says you can just swap the 6.2 pump onto a 6.5, but most people have trouble with it.

One thing though, why is #1 not firing at idle? It looks like you have a dead miss at low speed. Maybe try swapping the injector with another cylinder and see if the problem moves.
I had a reason, I believe the db wouldn't fit where the ds was but It was a while ago so I can't remember for certain. Or it may have been something else

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Haha ok a diesel you don't need any of that, the fuel gets sprayed right into the cylinder as opposed to going through the intake so you don't need it for a diesel, and the exhausts don't do a ton for test runs either. Theres oil in it don't worry, again there's no open areas like a gas engine without an I take do you can run it, just have to have the oil cooler hooked up which I do, just can't see it

Ok, so oil doesnt flow thru the intake and under it and such, interesting. I did know a diesel was direct injection tho, was more interested in the oil flow.
And the stuff like it uses an injection pump, no spark, etc, high compression with fuel makes it go boom.
I saw the bucket beside the engine i assume that was for oiling.

Overthedge21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
M1010
Engine Size
6.2 Diesel
No sir that is my fuel tank for right now. All the intake does on these is route air from the filter to the heads. Nothing more. All I had to do was plug up a few ports for oil pressure sensors and whatnot. My oiling system is completely contained, I have the radiator standing behind the engine since the oil cooler is integral, hooked the lines up and that's all.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
No sir that is my fuel tank for right now. All the intake does on these is route air from the filter to the heads. Nothing more. All I had to do was plug up a few ports for oil pressure sensors and whatnot. My oiling system is completely contained, I have the radiator standing behind the engine since the oil cooler is integral, hooked the lines up and that's all.

Well, sorry to hijack your thread, i was just amazed at the lack of an intake and exhaust.
Very cool.

Carry on :wave:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Well, sorry to hijack your thread, i was just amazed at the lack of an intake and exhaust.
Very cool.

Carry on :wave:
I’ll show you the lack of an intake and exhaust

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL