5.7 vortec heads, help deciding on condition and value

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thefaceless023

Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Hey guys, I'm looking at a set of vortec heads. The engine was ran out of oil and im guessing they are just parting out the motor to make a buck. The guy says the heads "seem okay. " and they are out of a 98. Anyway, the heads are in a different state so I can't feasably get a good look at them. With the circumstances do yall think the heads would be okay to buy and run? Would there be possible warping, valve train damage etc? He said he would ship on my dime, if yall think they would be okay to buy what should I offer? I was thinking $200 shipped...

Here is the Craigslist link https://eastidaho.craigslist.org/pts/d/rexburg-57-vortec-parts/6821197585.html

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Vortec 383, modified TBI/4L80e
Unless you can get them magnafluxed I’d stay away. I’ve bought two sets of used vortecs and I think all but one head had some cracking. They’re notorious for cracking in the exhaust valve seat of the middle cylinders. And knowing it was ran out of oil does not help matters although that may not be as bad as ran hot with no coolant.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I see your from MT... another thing to consider about vortec heads are not the greatest in cold weather. The stock intake manifold has an exhaust crossover under the carb. This will heat the plenum and keep the fuel suspended.

Vortec engines had the fuel injectors at each cylinder and having a hot intake manifold is a bad idea. Cold air is better for power.

Just throwing my 2 cents in. I went the vortec head route and spent 2 winters trying to figure out why it ran like crap for the first 5-10 minutes after starting. Seems everything I had read about them were from people who live where it is warm year round and so it is a non-issue.

Overheating can cause them to crack. Not sure about lack of oil. Guess how long it was run like that... did it run till it seized?

Thefaceless023

Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Not sure... I offered him $200 shipped. Well see what he has to say. Doubt he will take it consider shipping will be around 100 bucks lol

Thefaceless023

Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Thanks for the input, it's much appreciated! Lots to consider haha

Latest posts

Forum statistics