5.3 swap, need help with fuel tank question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houston Ben

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Hi all,

I have a 1986 swb 2wd and I am going to be doing an engine swap with a 2011 5.3 w/tranny. For those who have done this did you have to swap out your fuel tank? If so, what did you use? I would like to keep it in the same location as I have now which is the 16 gal side mount tank. I have read on other forms where people have done this with there stock tank in a 69 c10 and it works fine but I know nothing about this. I started an earlier thread called “New fuel tank” but I didn’t think I was clear on the title so I started a new thread, sorry if I am being redundant. In that thread Boone83K10 stated an 87 tank would work because it has a sump and the 86 didn’t, anyone else have thoughts on this? Also, any tips you have would be great!!

Thanks for any and all help!!!

Houston Ben

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
NICE!!! Thanks a lot foamypirate!! Question, do I need two fuel pumps, one for each tank, or dose the fuel pump go in and then the fuel tank selector and both tanks run from one? That black fuel line is expensive, is there anything else you would recommend? One more question....for now.... Did you hook your AC up? If so, what did you need to do it?

Thanks for your help man, much appreciated!!

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
NICE!!! Thanks a lot foamypirate!! Question, do I need two fuel pumps, one for each tank, or dose the fuel pump go in and then the fuel tank selector and both tanks run from one? That black fuel line is expensive, is there anything else you would recommend? One more question....for now.... Did you hook your AC up? If so, what did you need to do it?

Thanks for your help man, much appreciated!!

No problem, glad to help out.

You will need a fuel pump for each tank. As for the fuel line, you should be able to use any properly rated (fuel compatible) line that will work with AN fittings. If you browse around on SummitRacing, you can find all sorts.

As far as AC goes, if you want to run the factory AC compressor in the stock location, you either have to notch the frame (not preferred), or mode the frame stand for the motor mount. The more expensive option (or cheaper if you can fab it) is to run a high-mount AC bracket that moves the compressor up top. Kwik-Performance makes a kit to run a Sanden compressor: http://www.kwikperf.com/lsx_ac.html

AJII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
For AC, holley makes brackets that put the ac up high and the brackets look factory.

I did this last week and couldn't be happier. Pissed at myself for notching the frame for AC that never did work.

Houston Ben

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Thanks for the holley bracket AJII, that will save $100!! Dose the AC that comes with the engine work with the old AC dryer? AJ, do you have a pick you can share with the setup?

Thanks again,

Ben

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Nice find on those Holley brackets! I wasn't aware of those.

woodsrider250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350-Qjet
Would guess OEM drier would be fine, but put a NEW one on....just as if you were doing a proper 134a retrofit. Vac system, install new style oil.

AJII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'll get dad to send a pic of it tonight.

And you'll need a Sanden compressor. I go one off ebay for like $120. Factory dryer will work, just get a new one.

AJII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Houston Ben

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Thanks again for all the help all, AJ, thanks a bunch for the pics!! So from what I am gathering the AC compressor that comes with the engine won't work in the bracket and I need to buy the Sanden Compressor? Also, did you only have to buy the one bracket for the AC and not the bracket for the other side too?

Sorry so many questions but I am totally new to this and have no idea what I need. Good thing I will have help with the install.

Ben

AJII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The only way that you can use the factory compressor is to use it in the factory position. For any of the high mounts you'll need a Sanden compressor.

Only had to buy the passenger side bracket and the install kit. 200ish for both.

Houston Ben

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Thanks again AJ, I was looking on the Sanden site, do you remember what model number you bought? Also, did you have to buy new hoses?

Ben

Houston Ben

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Perfect!! Thanks AJ!

Forum statistics