5.3 LM7 going in my 87

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fried_daddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
5.3 LS
Nice work!
You are reminding me of all the fun I had with my LS swap in my k5.
I didn't go to the extent of installing a new cam but replaced all gaskets, seals, sensors...
I went with shorty SS headers since I have limited space. Was able to run true duals.
I also used the donor overflow tank and radiator with e-fans.
For the motor mounts, I have the stock mounts on the sub frame (k-member) with LS swap brackets. Can't recall the name but they set the engine back 1 inch. This allows the use of the stock driveshaft.
For the AC compressor, not much you can do without a new bracket. I plan to install a high mount one with a sanden compressor. It will basically sits in front of the right head.
For the fuel pump I went with a DeatschWerks. Had many good review and works well for me.
I also built my own lines with An6 and used the vette style pump/regulator.
My harness was intact and removed from a running escalade. I reworked myself and made my own power distribution block with fuses and relays.

For the trans, I like having overdrive. I would go with the new one. There are plenty of people that would buy you TH400 if you wanted to sell.

You can see some of my build in signature.

Yeah. I think I will have plenty of room for long tubes with my truck being a 2WD. I got a radiator and overflow tank from a LS donor vehicle. I decided to go with the clutch fan instead of electric fan. I like the roar, and I didn't wanna go through the expense and additional electrical required to control electric fans. I plan on using the stock driveshaft for now so hopefully the slide on mines will let me sit it in the right place.

I began on making up the AN fuel lines this morning before work. I'll prob continue those over this weekend. Going to check out your build thread!! I'm planning on keeping the TH400 for now. I just rebuilt it a few months ago with new frictions, steels, bushings, seals, the full rebuild kit and the 4L80E 34 element upgrade and a shift kit. This will be a backup in case I blow up the 4L60E.

Going to check out your build now!!

fried_daddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
5.3 LS
Fuel Fitting List
Here is a list of all the fittings required to make up my fuel lines. I also purchased the recommended matching -AN hose by Russell to use with these fittings.
Fittings:
Fuel Rail on Intake - 3/8"
Russell 644123

Fuel Filter Outlet to Engine - 3/8"
Russell 640940

Fuel Filter Supply - 3/8"
Russell 644123

Fuel Filter Return - 5/16"
Russell 644113

Sending Unit at Tank Supply - 3/8" hard line
Russell 639213

Sending Unit at Tank Return - 5/16" hard line
Earls AT165056ERL

-6AN Hose End Fittings x Quantity of 6
Russell 610025

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
Yeah. I think I will have plenty of room for long tubes with my truck being a 2WD. I got a radiator and overflow tank from a LS donor vehicle. I decided to go with the clutch fan instead of electric fan. I like the roar, and I didn't wanna go through the expense and additional electrical required to control electric fans. I plan on using the stock driveshaft for now so hopefully the slide on mines will let me sit it in the right place.

I began on making up the AN fuel lines this morning before work. I'll prob continue those over this weekend. Going to check out your build thread!! I'm planning on keeping the TH400 for now. I just rebuilt it a few months ago with new frictions, steels, bushings, seals, the full rebuild kit and the 4L80E 34 element upgrade and a shift kit. This will be a backup in case I blow up the 4L60E.

Going to check out your build now!!

For the e-fans I use the computer to control the on/off. Fan 1 at 160 fan 2 at 190. I also added a relay for fan 2 to automatically come on when the ac compressor turns on. So 3 relays plus fuses run them.
I like the "sealed" system of the ls rad and overflow tank. My rad also has a trans and oil cooler. Also have secondary trans cooler in front of the condenser.
I would have liked to use long tube but knew it wouldn't be possible.

fried_daddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
5.3 LS
For the e-fans I use the computer to control the on/off. Fan 1 at 160 fan 2 at 190. I also added a relay for fan 2 to automatically come on when the ac compressor turns on. So 3 relays plus fuses run them.
I like the "sealed" system of the ls rad and overflow tank. My rad also has a trans and oil cooler. Also have secondary trans cooler in front of the condenser.
I would have liked to use long tube but knew it wouldn't be possible.
Have you monitored transmission temperatures with your setup? I was planning on just using the radiator trans cooler but I will also probably do some towing when I get the motor up and running. I know keeping a transmission in working order is all about the temperatures.

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
10-4. Thanks. I also have the two piece DS in my truck. I'll have to post up what I end up doing for the driveshaft. If I'm super lucky, my old one will slide right into place where I put the motor. I have But I am prepared to go through the process of getting a new one.

I have yet to finalize what I plan on doing for motor mount brackets, which will also have an effect on the final position of the driveshaft. I have some of the flat adapter plates, but don't have the correct clamshells to go with the 2292 body mounts. I have some Dirty Dingos ordered. After I ordered them, I read a bunch of stuff about them not working with factory A/C bracket and oil pan hanging below the crossmember. I have also read about the Tejas mounts but they claim to raise the motor and move it forward. Raising is not an issue with me but the moving forward is. I plan on using a clutch fan and I have a radiator I pulled from a Tahoe at the salvage yard that I plan to use so I can keep all of the coolant plumbing as it was with the motor. The tThoe radiator is massive, width wise.
I received my Dirty Dingo mounts today. I originally had adapter plates but the motor mount I had didn't for the 2292 mounts. I ordered some replacement mounts from summit and they were also too small to reach across the 2292 mounts. I was stuck between Dirty Dingo and Tejas. I ended up choosing Dirty Dingo because in the Tejas swap guide it says that their mounts are not meant to be used with a clutch fan. I plan on running a clutch fan.

You must be registered for see images attach

The low mount A/C won't fit. As you can see. I have the same engine and using the same dirty dingo plates you will how ever be able to bolt your TH400 in the same location. and my oil pan doesn't hit the cross member but you won't be able to mount the harness support to the front. So think about re routing. Check my build thread and you'll see were I'm at. https://www.gmsquarebody.com/posts/529384/

Last edited:

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
Have you monitored transmission temperatures with your setup? I was planning on just using the radiator trans cooler but I will also probably do some towing when I get the motor up and running. I know keeping a transmission in working order is all about the temperatures.
No I haven't. I'm using the factory Escalade setup. Should be enough for my use.
You are right, doesn't take much to burn up a trans if it gets too hot.

fried_daddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
5.3 LS
The low mount A/C won't fit. As you can see. I have the same engine and using the same dirty dingo plates you will how ever be able to bolt your TH400 in the same location. and my oil pan doesn't hit the cross member but you won't be able to mount the harness support to the front. So think about re routing. Check my build thread and you'll see were I'm at. https://www.gmsquarebody.com/posts/529384/

I see where the interference is for the compressor by looking at your pic. Thanks for sharing.

My truck is a 2WD so I'm not sure how different our frames are around the front axle and motor area. I'm not following you when you say there will be harness support issues. Are you talking aboutt he plastic piece that bolts on teh front of the oil pan?

Also, are those factory 5.3 Truck manifolds that you are using? Do they clear without cutting the frame any? If so, that would speed up me getting my motor in a little bit quicker due to not having to buy exhaust.

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
I see where the interference is for the compressor by looking at your pic. Thanks for sharing.

My truck is a 2WD so I'm not sure how different our frames are around the front axle and motor area. I'm not following you when you say there will be harness support issues. Are you talking aboutt he plastic piece that bolts on teh front of the oil pan?

Also, are those factory 5.3 Truck manifolds that you are using? Do they clear without cutting the frame any? If so, that would speed up me getting my motor in a little bit quicker due to not having to buy exhaust.

Yea that plastic thing that routes the harness over to the starter and A/C compressor. And I may be incorrect about the 2WD frame and the A/C but if the Dingo Adapter has to be pushed all the way forward to align the transmission mounts the A/C mount will be in the way. I had to remove the stock manifolds and the A/C compressor and mount to install the engine. I already new the stock manifolds wouldn't work due to clearance issues with my SM465 manual Trans linkage, So I replaced them with Hooker Cast manifolds. Still have to re-work the ZBAR for the linkage.

fried_daddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
5.3 LS
Yea that plastic thing that routes the harness over to the starter and A/C compressor. And I may be incorrect about the 2WD frame and the A/C but if the Dingo Adapter has to be pushed all the way forward to align the transmission mounts the A/C mount will be in the way. I had to remove the stock manifolds and the A/C compressor and mount to install the engine. I already new the stock manifolds wouldn't work due to clearance issues with my SM465 manual Trans linkage, So I replaced them with Hooker Cast manifolds. Still have to re-work the ZBAR for the linkage.

Ok. Thanks for sharing all of the information. I'll update here with what I find when I get to that point. Right now, I'm just messing around with working on the harness. I am in the process of soldering the TAC module connector back on but I have some more research to do. There are 2 wires there that have the same color scheme as two other wires. I need to study the pinouts some more and get the ohm-meter out to make sure I don't cross up anything.

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
I've been looking for a filler piece to cover the gap between my rad and e-fans.
Where did you get yours? I've seen one from a 454 that might work too.
mine is a diesel kit shroud maybe longuer than BBC ;)

Tjm1534

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Fried daddy,you are doing a great looking job and I am also doing an ls swap but on a 1988 suburban 4x4.By the way I am in high point also. I will be keeping up with your build.Very nice work. Tony Mitchell.

fried_daddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
5.3 LS
Fried daddy,you are doing a great looking job and I am also doing an ls swap but on a 1988 suburban 4x4.By the way I am in high point also. I will be keeping up with your build.Very nice work. Tony Mitchell.
Thanks!! I still have some more to do on the wiring harness. I've took a quick break on the project while I take care of some other things on some of my other vehicles but I will be back on it very soon!! This bitter cold winter weather and quick darkness in the evening sucks.

I did get the TAC module soldered back into the harness and I also replaced alot of the broken/old loom. My next steps for the project are to get the harness worked to where it is stand-alone and to get the HP Tuner so I can get rid of VATS and start setting up my tune. I also have all of the components for my fuel system but I haven't installed any of them yet.

fried_daddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
5.3 LS
No major updates here. I was able to get my new sending unit prepped over the weekend. I went with a '87 unit and cut the ends off to get the smooth pipe for my compression to -AN fittings. I installed the AC Delco EP381 pump on the unit.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
No major updates here. I was able to get my new sending unit prepped over the weekend. I went with a '87 unit and cut the ends off to get the smooth pipe for my compression to -AN fittings. I installed the AC Delco EP381 pump on the unit.

I tried to look for my post regarding the fuel pump connector but I can't find it lol. I'll try digging later again for it. It was dirt cheap.

fried_daddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
5.3 LS
Update! I spent alot of the weekend working on the swap. I picked up a harness from one of my friends and a PCM to go with it. Hooked everything up to the jumpbox and the engine started right up. Here is a video:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84