5.3 LM7 going in my 87

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fried_daddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
5.3 LS
Empty engine bay pic and pic with the LS and the old v6 both on the floor. I had to swap out mounts to v8 mounts. The last pic is with the v8 mounts installed.

You must be registered for see images attach

fried_daddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
5.3 LS
I was able to get the engine/trans dropped in as one piece without taking the hood off. I did remove the springs though so I could raise it higher. I used a ratchet strap and attached it to the bed of the truck to hold the hood up. As you can see in the pic, it was a very tight fit installing them as one unit.

fried_daddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
5.3 LS
This leaves us here, with the assembly in place. I have ran into an issue with the dipstick tube hitting the firewall. That's preventing my dirty dingo sliders from sliding back to the position I was them. I have a lokar flexible dipstick on order so hopefully that'll let me slide back the small amount I need in order to reuse the stock driveshaft. I am also using the dirty dingo adjustable crossmember.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
always nice to hear it run for the first time. Lookin' good.

fried_daddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
5.3 LS
I found a possible solution to my driveshaft issues without having to get a longer driveshaft. They make a longer yoke that will fit the 4L60E. It is a 27 spline and has 1310 series U-Joints. I have to go out and do some measuring later today and I may go that route instead of getting a flexible dipstick tube. Will post my findings here.

fried_daddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
5.3 LS
The replacement yoke was a success! The driveshaft is back in and the engine/ trans is ready to be bolted in place.

fried_daddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
5.3 LS
I did some test fitting of my 34" Tahoe radiator. Drilled some big ass holes in my core support for the rubber bushing to drop into, and got it in place to discover that the shroud is off center by around 2 inches! Lol. I'm either gonna drill two new holes next to the ones I just drilled or cut the shroud back for clearance and call it a day.

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
I did some test fitting of my 34" Tahoe radiator. Drilled some big ass holes in my core support for the rubber bushing to drop into, and got it in place to discover that the shroud is off center by around 2 inches! Lol. I'm either gonna drill two new holes next to the ones I just drilled or cut the shroud back for clearance and call it a day.

Talk to me about your power steering hose connections. What hoses did you use the one from the old power steering pump! I haven't hooked mine up to the steering box but the hose fittings that came with the new engine LM7 seem to be larger than original.

fried_daddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
5.3 LS
Talk to me about your power steering hose connections. What hoses did you use the one from the old power steering pump! I haven't hooked mine up to the steering box but the hose fittings that came with the new engine LM7 seem to be larger than original.
I used the power steering hoses from the old pump. Factory to a 1987 truck. I never unhooked my steering gear. Pressure bolted right up and return is just a hose barb/clamp.

fried_daddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
5.3 LS
If you need me to, I can get you the part number for the power steering pump i'm using. Let me know.

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
If you need me to, I can get you the part number for the power steering pump i'm using. Let me know.

The pump on the engine LM7 is what came with it, 2004, I was just curious if you had to change anything. I haven't tried to connect the hoses to the steering gear yet. Not worried about the return I have the old hardware from the original pump. The pressure line fitting from the 2004 hose looks larger but just may be deceiving need to try it.

fried_daddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
5.3 LS
The pump on the engine LM7 is what came with it, 2004, I was just curious if you had to change anything. I haven't tried to connect the hoses to the steering gear yet. Not worried about the return I have the old hardware from the original pump. The pressure line fitting from the 2004 hose looks larger but just may be deceiving need to try it.

You should be fine. I ordered a new pump for 2 reasons. 1) the pump that came on my engine was the hydroboost one with too many fittings on it 2) I had a brand new steering gear and didn't want to take a chance at runing any trash through it.

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
You should be fine. I ordered a new pump for 2 reasons. 1) the pump that came on my engine was the hydroboost one with too many fittings on it 2) I had a brand new steering gear and didn't want to take a chance at runing any trash through it.

Well the one I have does have the hydroboost, but the way I understand it the extra line is also a return so you can just cap it off. If that is incorrect, I will need that part number!!

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force

not sure if it's the same with hydroboost or not, but I took the fitting off the back of the pump and put it on the LS pump.....using the original hoses (not the LS hoses).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128