4l80

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
i have two standalone computers they are OEM parts if intreasted, they are for a truck that didnt have a computer but it had a 4l80e so it needed something to control them, let me know if intreasted

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
i have two standalone computers they are OEM parts if intreasted, they are for a truck that didnt have a computer but it had a 4l80e so it needed something to control them, let me know if intreasted

I will gladly take one of them off your hands, how much do you want for it?

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
I will gladly take one of them off your hands, how much do you want for it?

idk make me an offer, but first I would make sure it will work for you

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
There are some on ebay for $35. If it controls the 4L80, it should work right? Then I just need to track down the transmission.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
I contacted Jakes in Texas to get an idea of price for a rebuilt trans w/controller and a lockup converter. They said the converter will bolt up to the th400 flexplate. For the trans, controller and lockup converter it would cost $3550 plus $150 for shipping. The trans is longer than the th400 so the driveshaft needs shortened, and the cross member needs to be relocated.

That is all I know at this point. I am going to investigate getting a rebuilt one from ebay, and try to locate a controller. Any savings will go towards shortening the driveshaft.

Jake's performance in Texas? I've had 2 trans' built by them, they have been great! I've got their Stage 1 TH350 in my truck.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
There are some on ebay for $35. If it controls the 4L80, it should work right? Then I just need to track down the transmission.

if you are serious ill find out shipping costs, but you understand you will need to wire and pin it

or you could spend 800on a trick tci unit

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Jake's performance in Texas? I've had 2 trans' built by them, they have been great! I've got their Stage 1 TH350 in my truck.

Yeah, Jake's Performance. After getting their prices for a stage 2 4L80e ($2,700), a lockup converter ($850), standalone computer ($550), plus shipping ($150) I decided I could get a rebuilt one off of ebay and do the entire swap for much less than $4,250. They quoted $3,550 plus shipping, but they didn't add up everything, and $4,250 is a little expensive for me. I could pay down my Subaru, fix up the house, get all kinds of goodies for me and my cars, etc with that much money.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
if you are serious ill find out shipping costs, but you understand you will need to wire and pin it

I am serious, I am searching and collecting parts right now.

I'm okay with wiring it or finding a harness for it. I have never seen an ECM for one of these transmissions, so I don't even know what it looks like or what I am up against. But the thought of getting way better mileage and still having a beefy transmission is something I can handle.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
I am serious, I am searching and collecting parts right now.

I'm okay with wiring it or finding a harness for it. I have never seen an ECM for one of these transmissions, so I don't even know what it looks like or what I am up against. But the thought of getting way better mileage and still having a beefy transmission is something I can handle.

in 92-93 6.5 diesel they were still fully mechanically which means the motor did not need a computer to run it but those trucks had 4l80s so they had stand alone computers to run them

they look identical to ECMs

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
A couple minutes ago I called one of the local salvage yards, and they have one out of a '95 3500 with 56,000 miles on it. :party36: It didn't come out of a diesel, so they don't have the controller with it. They want $550 for the trans. I need to find some cash and go snag that sucker.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Yeah, Jake's Performance. After getting their prices for a stage 2 4L80e ($2,700), a lockup converter ($850), standalone computer ($550), plus shipping ($150) I decided I could get a rebuilt one off of ebay and do the entire swap for much less than $4,250. They quoted $3,550 plus shipping, but they didn't add up everything, and $4,250 is a little expensive for me. I could pay down my Subaru, fix up the house, get all kinds of goodies for me and my cars, etc with that much money.

Yeah, it can definitely be done cheaper. Their focus is more towards the big horsepower big block and boosted cars that will take a LOT of abuse. Probably overkill for someone just wanting to upgrade to a durable overdrive trans. They do build a hell of a trans though.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Yeah, it can definitely be done cheaper. Their focus is more towards the big horsepower big block and boosted cars that will take a LOT of abuse. Probably overkill for someone just wanting to upgrade to a durable overdrive trans. They do build a hell of a trans though.

I am learning that it can be done way cheaper the more I investigate.

Hey @1low4x4, how far did you move your crossmember back when you swapped in the 4L80E? And did you use the TH400 mount, or did you have to use a different mount? I read through your build thread yesterday because I recalled you doing this swap, and I could get used to 14 mpg compared to the 8 mpg I was getting before. That is a 75% increase in mileage. Also, were you able to use the TH400 flexplate? I heard you can, but want to make sure so I know what parts to get.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
in 92-93 6.5 diesel they were still fully mechanically which means the motor did not need a computer to run it but those trucks had 4l80s so they had stand alone computers to run them

they look identical to ECMs

OK so this is outside my knowledge area. What do you need to do to make this stand alone controller operate ? Is it just a sealed up box with no input or what ? Be specific please.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I was wondering that too. I am assuming it just needs power and a good ground, a secure spot mounted somewhere under the hood, and you're off and running. What research I've done, you can buy a programmable controller for $800+ and you can adjust shift points, shift firmness, and other parameters to really fine tune it to your liking. I rode in a couple trucks with this transmission behind a 350 and was pleased with the factory setup, so I am going that route. If I get a wild hair and some extra cash, I may get one of those programmable units later on. Right now I am striving to keep the swap around $1,500.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
OK so this is outside my knowledge area. What do you need to do to make this stand alone controller operate ? Is it just a sealed up box with no input or what ? Be specific please.

to be honest with you I really don't know, what I do know is there is a stand alone computer behind the dash that has 50 wires on it, half go to one plug other half go to the other plug both on the transmission

I learned this because I planed on doing a 4l80e swap and now I have a 5speed, so go ahead ask me anything about a nv4500:flipthebird:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising