4L65 problems new reman.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnmc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 10
Engine Size
305 tuneport injected
Well here is my problem.I just installed a reman 4L65 in my wifes 2004 tahoe.I first noticed it had a noise like a planet bearing squealing in drive and reverse.It would go away in park and neutral.
First test drive I went around the shop. It shifted ok 1 ,2 then went up the road 1, 2, 3, 4 , ok OD went also I don't remember when it work last wow what a difference . so I put some miles on it .
Then I wanted to get on it a little . I was not impressed it shifted soft and slow for a HD rebuild with a shift improver.
went out this morning to take it for a test ride before letting the wife have it.
It started to flair up before shifting to 2nd then rev but no 3rd. after about 6 attempts to get 3rd I was pissed and hammered it and it jumped into 3rd but when i let off it fell out of 3rd like it was in neutral. I figured I didn't want to kill it so i parked it . Also reverse feels like its 1/2 way there or slipping.
I am a little upset after spending 1,800.00 and waiting 3 weeks for this think and 8 hrs swapping it out.
I will be calling the rebuilder in the morning to bad there 1,600 miles away. so that will be one week shipping it to them then 3 weeks for them to fix it and a week back . The last one i got from them was great that is why i went back with such a great track record. The wife is not going to like this.

I have worked for a transmission shop . I have installed over 100 transmissions .in the past 25 years

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ohhh damn. Sorry to hear about this John. I'd be more than upset. I'd be sick. It does sound like it needs to go back to me. Sometimes, these good deals aren't good deals. No reputable HP builders in your area huh??? Damn, that sucks !!! :shitsweak:

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
sorry to say but it would apear that the builder was NOT able to find the cause, and it has shown its ugly ass again. Wish you lived closer, I rebuild for $1800 WITH INSTALLATION INCLUDED.

johnmc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 10
Engine Size
305 tuneport injected
I called them today They asked me to remove the pan to look. it has gold,silver metal flake and pepper in it but no large parts. not good It has to go back .

Attachments

• IMG_0093.jpg
    IMG_0093.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0091.jpg
    IMG_0091.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0099.jpg
    IMG_0099.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0095.jpg
    IMG_0095.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 101

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
That sucks bro.

Beatdown Z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1600 miles away! damn thats a good distance. You care to mention the name of the company. I have a Finishline trans in my truck(they're in Illinois), and next time it needs repaired, i'm going with a reputable local shop.

Good luck man. With 60E's you're going to need it.

johnmc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 10
Engine Size
305 tuneport injected
I was holding off but . after i am getting the shaft with shipping for 150.00 back and no parts,fluid,and labor to do it again. like i need the practice. i have done over 100 tranny swaps.. because i don't have certification in front of my name i get boned. I have to wait for the bill of laden then remove it then ship it back. one week on the truck and one week getting rebuilt. then one week coming back . 3 weeks of rental car 125.00 per week +56.00 fluid and 6 hrs on the lift. I will never recommend MONSTER TRANSMISSION to anyone again. I even took the stickers off out mud truck.
Its not like i did anything wrong I installed it 100 % correct there workmanship was bad on this one. and I have to pay for it. its ok the web has a long reach this is one of my do not buy complaints .3rd gear is smoked and reverse is 1/2 smoked. and shifts like **** 1 to 2nd. nothing like my last one.its to bad they advertise to anyone on the web but fine print you should have a ASE installer. its bs . plain and simple there **** was weak. it didn't make it 5 miles back home before it was fairing up.
This is my wife's daily driver not a mud truck.
my rant in over.
thanks john

towman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
good thing they are so far away from you, will keep you from going to jail