4 wheel drive problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justaburke

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
350 TBI
I am having problems with my front end engaging when I shift my transfer case into 4hi/low. I have a '87 3/4 ton w/208 t case and 700R4 tranny. The truck is all stock. Here is what is happening. My t-case shifts fine into 4hi/low. When in either 4 selection, with manual hubs locked, the passenger side hub has a clicking/grinding sound coming from it while in drive, and there seems to be sporadic 4 wheel operation. The sound goes away when the hub is turned to "FREE" and still in 4. Also, the 4 wheel drive seems to work just fine in reverse with none of the above clicking and grinding noises. When driving in 4, the front end would occasionally give a clunk and a shutter. Please help. This is making getting around in the snow a pain.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
I am having problems with my front end engaging when I shift my transfer case into 4hi/low. I have a '87 3/4 ton w/208 t case and 700R4 tranny. The truck is all stock. Here is what is happening. My t-case shifts fine into 4hi/low. When in either 4 selection, with manual hubs locked, the passenger side hub has a clicking/grinding sound coming from it while in drive, and there seems to be sporadic 4 wheel operation. The sound goes away when the hub is turned to "FREE" and still in 4. Also, the 4 wheel drive seems to work just fine in reverse with none of the above clicking and grinding noises. When driving in 4, the front end would occasionally give a clunk and a shutter. Please help. This is making getting around in the snow a pain.

Either the hub is bad or your missing a snap ring in side the hub, disaassembly should reveil your problem

justaburke

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
350 TBI
My guess was the hubs, but I just wanted to get others opinions before I started tearing stuff apart.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I had a simillar problem right after I got my truck. Turned out to be an assy. error by the previous owner, the spindle nut was installed backwards so the retaining pin (7 o'clock position on the top left nut) wasn't coupled with the ring. Turned it around and all was good.

Attachments

• spindle.jpg
    spindle.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 294

rainyraven

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10 cheyenne
Engine Size
Skysurfer beat me too it.. I'd take it apart and check for that ..

Also check those wheel bearings while your in there .. since you have to take so much apart anyway..

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If everything looks OK, don't replace the hubs just yet. Clean them up really well and give them a light lube, then see how the truck does.

Also, some hubs don't provide enough clearance to run a snap ring on the stub shaft. It usually doesn't create a problem, especially if the ball joints are still nice and tight.

sean1960

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom GMC
Engine Size
Check the manual hubs, if the hubs are full of dirt they won't lock in correctly. When you take them apart look for metal flakes. If you find metal flakes replace the hubs. If the snap ring is gone off the end of the axle don't be alarmed it won't hurt anything.

Last edited:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I've seen times when I had to reach into the steering knuckle from behind and push the outer axleshaft outward so the snapring could be installed.

justaburke

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
350 TBI
I did pull the outer section of the hub off. I think I remember seeing a snapping. I should have pulled it all apart. With all the clicking and grinding I heard, am I likely to find all the splines on the outer shaft and the hub all chewed up?

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
There's no point in us guessing what you will find. Take it apart and look at it. Post some pictures if you're not sure about it.

Hoss82

Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
4x4 knocking noise

I have a 1985 k10 that has manual locking hubs when i put the truck in 4w drive i get a knocking noise if i unlock any one hub it goes away i also and unlock both hubs and run it dob the street in 4wd hi/low and have no noise i am lost any help would be great thanks

justaburke

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
350 TBI
I have a 1985 k10 that has manual locking hubs when i put the truck in 4w drive i get a knocking noise if i unlock any one hub it goes away i also and unlock both hubs and run it dob the street in 4wd hi/low and have no noise i am lost any help would be great thanks

I swapped out my stock locking hubs for some used Superwinch hubs I got from a friend. Problem fixed. All my issues went away. Sounds like we might have had the same stuff going on. Also put on a new set of TREAD WRIGHT tires. Couldn't be happier.

Hoss82

Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Yea i have changed the hubs i have looked at all gears i just dont get why i can unlock ant one hub and it goes away its not like its my first time but thanks for the info

Hoss82

Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
but i feel like it is becuase its kicking my but