383 to 4l80e to np208

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Ok, got everything in on working order. I have a 2 wheel drive 4l80e with an np208 transfer case. We added a new 32 spline shaft to the transfer case and a clocking ring (or spud connection) to mate the 2. With a 4" suspension lift, the driveshaft was the perfect length stock so no alterations there. TCI comp was replaced once, but finally started shifting second correctly.

Did you run into any issues with the tcase lever and what other mods were needed?

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I never saw this thread. I am in the same boat as you were. Been through several 700r4 trans over 2 or 3 years. Truck has mainly been sitting for a few months now. Only drive it short distances because of the trans. Unfortunately, I have run out of money and can't keep buying parts for now.

88CustomDeluxe

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Curious about this swap. I have almost everything to complete but I'm not sure about the VSS sensor on the back of the t-case. My trans is an 95 4L80e. Looks exactly the same as the one pictured above. My t-case is a NP205 out of an 88 V30. I have the stock trans adapter which should be fine. You talked about a clocking ring.... did you buy the one from advanced adapters with the built in VSS sensor and reluctor ring?

Here is the link: http://www.advanceadapters.com/prod...-gm-np205-long-input-circular-6-bolt-pattern/

Brad

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
sorry for the long time lapse. This swap turned my rearend into soup. ok, so the spud connector goes in between the transfer and trans (attached to transmission in photo) and you remove that adapter that is on the transfer case in the photo (4 female bolt holes). The whole assembly has to be moved several inches back than a normal 700r4 so new mounting holes are drilled in the frame rails. This trans hits so stupid hard that i immediately snapped my rear end. The TCI transcomp is ok... but i have it tuned all the way to -2 out of 10 as far as firm shifts are concerned and it still hits like a train.
I still use my speedo cable that is hooked up to the transfer case via autometer adapter, i prefer mechanical. My autometer Speedo self tunes if you drive 2 miles. If not, there is a part through tci that hooks up to the distributor to give you electronic speedo info. Do not hook up your tach line directly into the distributor if you are using tci computer. it will fry the computer box, you need a fancy adapter for that too because of course.
Overall i am thrilled to have a transmission that breaks other things instead of itself. This thing is bulletproof and with patient tuning with cruise/performance mode it drives like a buick or can chirp in second gear with 33" tires. They have paddle shifters but it looks like a cheap video game setup.

Will load full install photos in a bit

Brad

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Sounds like a blast. Once when I was young and dumb I installed a shift kit like that. Took about a week before it came out and went in the trash. Fine for a race car, not so much for a daily driver.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8