383 TBI vs 454 TBI, need opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
http://paceperformance.com/attachment/34550-.pdf

This was why I went with GM's HT383. Peak torque at 3,300 RPM. With my gears I'm running that RPM at highway speeds. Even at only 1,500 RPM it makes 380 ft/lbs.

And it does it with a little baby cam that makes great vacuum at idle. (21")

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Have you thought about looking for a GM 496 8.1L BB? Gobbs of power and not as hard to find as you'd think. Usually found only in workhorse trucks so finding one that doesn't need an overhaul could be tuff.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I have the 8.1 in my 2003 Silverado HD. They were also in some of the Chevy Avalanches. But rumored to be de-tuned a bit since they were only mated to the 4l80e. (instead of the allison or ZF-6)

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
There's an older you-tube video of a Cutlass wagon with an 8.1 and a Doug Nash 5-speed doing crazy burnouts....I love that video-I'll see if I can find it....

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Vortec 383, modified TBI/4L80e

Cool! We had one of those when I was a kid, it was dark red and a '78 I think, but pretty much the same. Didn't have an 8.1 in it, though, I can say that for sure. :) I think it was one of those economy V-8s they had back then, smaller than a 305. 267 maybe? I've actually thought about buying one to build up (LS 5.3 maybe??) but they are getting really hard to find. Especially the Oldsmobile version which is what I would want.

Anyway, guys I would love to do a vortec 454 or 8.1 for the Burb, but I think it may be a bit out of my league. Mainly regarding fuel supply - I think budget, time and skills restraints would prohibit me from figuring out a way to fuel inject it. And I don't want to go backwards to a carb since it's a '91 and has a 4L80e. One thing I've been wondering and have not really been able to figure out from internet research - can you even buy a 4-barrel intake manifold for a Vortec 7.4 or 8.1? Just curious, though...

Nah, I'm going to stick with the Vortec 383, and run the TBI. The fuel injection guy I've been talking with insists he can make this work, I just have to use 454 injectors. (I think he's telling me to get 84 lbs/hr ones). I'm starting to get excited about the build - a commitment I have during the winter is ending in a few weeks and I've gotten the go ahead from the boss at home. :gr_grin:

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Cool! We had one of those when I was a kid, it was dark red and a '78 I think, but pretty much the same. Didn't have an 8.1 in it, though, I can say that for sure. :) I think it was one of those economy V-8s they had back then, smaller than a 305. 267 maybe? I've actually thought about buying one to build up (LS 5.3 maybe??) but they are getting really hard to find. Especially the Oldsmobile version which is what I would want.

Anyway, guys I would love to do a vortec 454 or 8.1 for the Burb, but I think it may be a bit out of my league. Mainly regarding fuel supply - I think budget, time and skills restraints would prohibit me from figuring out a way to fuel inject it. And I don't want to go backwards to a carb since it's a '91 and has a 4L80e. One thing I've been wondering and have not really been able to figure out from internet research - can you even buy a 4-barrel intake manifold for a Vortec 7.4 or 8.1? Just curious, though...

Nah, I'm going to stick with the Vortec 383, and run the TBI. The fuel injection guy I've been talking with insists he can make this work, I just have to use 454 injectors. (I think he's telling me to get 84 lbs/hr ones). I'm starting to get excited about the build - a commitment I have during the winter is ending in a few weeks and I've gotten the go ahead from the boss at home. :gr_grin:

get the whole 454 vortec truck, pull the harness out and get a 0411 ecm from a 00-02 van. Your factory fuel system just needs a better pump to support the vortec 454.

working on doing the vortec head swap to my V10 also, lots of info out there if you have the desire to tune it yourself.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Vortec 383, modified TBI/4L80e
Good to know, thanks. I think buying an entire vortec truck will exceed the budget but never know.....may run across one for cheap some day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K5Chris