37s on a half ton with a 12 bolt with 4.10 gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Isaac nickerson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Isaac
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7 L
I feel you young man, you're exactly where I was at in 1989, trying to pay for my 78 on a Burger King salary! So here are some of the tips I learned the hard way. First, if you have any leaks, fix them. If oil can get out, water and mud can get in. Make sure ALL of your vent hoses are clear, and ran up high to where water can't get in. Use hose clamps at the vent pipes to keep the hoses sealed up and in place. There's vents on both axles, transfer case, and transmission. When I was running 35s with 1/2 tons I broke a LOT of u-joints, usually at the front axle, and front drive shaft, but occasionally at the rear drive shaft at the transfer case. Keep some cheap joints, a hammer, old socket the size of the joint cap, and some hand tools with you when you go wheeling. You will eventually have to change one. As far as lifts go, 6" will put more strain on the front CV joint at the transfer case and you will break it. With 35s you're better off going with a 4" kit and trimming your front fenders. If you know you eventually want 37 or 38s and bigger axles, you can get the 6 or 8" kit, but you should replace the front drive shaft and output yoke on the transfer case with a u-joint only and get rid of the CV. Costs more money but well worth it to avoid CV breakage
Thanks I appreciate the tips!

Battlac40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Squarebody recipe:
If you are gonna stay 12bolt back 10/12 bolt front with a 2-5inch lift I prefer 31-33s. At 3.08 the 33s will bog it down. 3.73s will wake it up and will run well with 35s.
If you do the 3/4 setup go 17s with 375-305s < 4.10.
If you do the one tons - crank out some cash; then you be the man and run 40s all day < 4.56.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rumpity_z28