350 Running warm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Terry Wilkerson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1500
Engine Size
Let's talk about freeze protection of 50/50. Anyone know how low the temp it protects your vehicle?

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
I wasn’t stating that those guages are 100% accurate. You will also note that both engines were fairly cold, I was just showing how one was a range type guage, the other was numerical. The level on the temp guage has no relation to anything other than that is how warm the engine was when I took the pic.

It takes about an hour for the suburban to reach 210-215. It likes to stick around 195 or 200 ish until its fully warm.

I bought a new thermostat, I’ll install it and see if flushing it helps.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I run a 195 degree thermostat and my aftermarket mechanical temp gauge shows that it settles in at about 190-195 almost all the time.

Editorial comment (it can be ignored) - In my opinion, switching to a 180 thermostat to fix overheating in the 210+ range is like your spouse setting the house temp at 80 to try to get the house warmed up faster. Using high flow or other improvement is better than using a lower temp thermostat.

I had issues with the engine running a little hot, and started out with a 195 degree high flow thermostat, high flow water pump, and severe duty fan clutch with the stock metal fan. That helped a lot, and it kept it from ever overheating. However, the final fix was switching to a Champion aluminum radiator after I accidently put a hole in the old radiator.

The only time I see it spike up to about 210 is if I’ve been running at highway speed and then slow down and stop at a light for a while. Even then it only takes a couple minutes for the fan clutch to reengage fully and it comes back to 195.

Last edited: