2wd to 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyorlo

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Before everyone flames me for asking this, I've researched the subject and I have not seen someone in the same situation as me. So that's why I'm creating a new thread and asking these questions. This is my 3rd post on the site, so I really don't want to anger anyone by asking this question.

I just got a 79 k20 4wd and the frame and body are in rough shape. I can do a body swap, change a few cross members in the rear and spring hangers, patch some spots on the chassis, front clip, bed, cab corners and rockers and have a decent truck. That's option 1 to have 4wd.

Option 2,
I have a friend that's selling me a 75 k20 2wd, frame is in great shape, and the body is as well. There a a few spots on the bed that need attention but he's throwing in patch panels as well. I can pull the front suspension, steering, complete drivetrain and trans tunnel from the 79 4wd and install it in the 75 2wd.

I will have both trucks side by side until the swap is compete. I'm looking to build a good winter/work truck, not a show truck. Maybe someday I will give the truck an overall. The actual fab work will be no problem, I just don't want to crate a never ending headache. If it's that bad of an idea I will just leave the 2wd a 2wd. Both trucks are reg cab long bed btw.

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
I am converting a 1 ton crew cab from 2 wheel drive to a 4X4 right now. Look for my thread in this forum.

It's not hard it's just a lot of work I have 60 hours in it now and expect around 80 when it's all done.

Mine is a 1 ton and I am finding g out the frame is different than the donor 1/2 ton. That is what is taking up time I have had to modify and trim some stuff.

And I second guess every measurement.

It takes a lot of time to cut off all the parts that need changed. And a lot of rivets.

Tonyorlo

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I will definitely be following your thread, there's already a lot of good pics and info on it. I will probably be bothering you with questions if I go through with it. I do have a few questions already.

Are the rear spring hangers different from the 2wd to the 4wd? I don't want a weird ride height. If I could just roll the 4wd axle and springs under the 2wd that would be great.

Does the 2wd front suspension cross member bolt to the frame?

If I decide to not go through with this, how much would a set of axles from the 79 sell for?

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
Yes spring hangers are different between 2 and 4 wheel drive. You don't have to change them but the back will need lifted to match the front with either lift blocks or springs if you don't change them.

Yes the main 2 wheel drive X member bolts in

The front X member is riveted in

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
I sell a set of 3/4 tons for 600 bucks.
Corp. 14 bolt full floater and either a Dana44 or a corp. 10 bolt.

14 bolt semi floater is almost worthless basically give them away

Tonyorlo

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
After talking to some local square body guys I think I'm going to part this truck out and run the c20 I have for now. Maybe some day I will find a k20.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Misty Blue