2wd SM465 Speedo Gear Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
You are not missing anything that I can see.

SM465 Youtube link

Start at 3:50, there is't anything else. Was the yoke loose? Is it supposed to press the gear tight??

I say Loctite

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
You are not missing anything that I can see.

SM465 Youtube link

Start at 3:50, there is't anything else. Was the yoke loose? Is it supposed to press the gear tight??

I say Loctite

yeah it seemed pretty good when i took it off. . .hmmmmmm

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Something seems fishy. GM loves there interferance fit ****, and that often includes things that will spontaneously fall off and grenade things(like speed sensor reluctor) but on the same trans mission, the wheel can literally and I mean LITERALLY. Be cherry red and that includes the thing it rides on. WITH A TORCH. CHERRY RED. AND IT WILL NOT COME OFF.

Sometimes it just needs a wack or the sunshell thingy ma bobber even made it into tiny pieces for you

anyway, something about the thing looks suspicious.
Look at the machined meshing parts, take the ring and gear and mesh them on the bench. Are they evenly worn, are you getting places it wants to catch , hows the leading edge vs the.. you people that are into touching big rear ends(intentional) know what I mean. The wear you mark with paint. can you assembe the housing with gear and that special paint , turn the ...crankshaft with wheels in the air so starter? Its a little choppy way to do it.. you could pull plugs and that would help it be not choppy.. but specifically have the differential connected Because its got weight and tolerances you need to account for for this thoery to even be worth pondering. So you spin the enginee, trans, rear end. You have the speedo cable connected and that all does its normal thing, minus some weight(which im not about to tell you to bump starter with your truck moving ... thats a lot of work for your battery)

Im just wondering if the tolerances in the gear shaft hole thing (ha) are properly lined up and that the cut grooves are mating in a way that the there isnt a yanking or walking motion that wore somethign over time. Or that the resistance holds the ring on the trans still and it kinda just slowly machined itself smaller. All it takes is it to start doing that and some old lubricant in the trans that is not gl-4... some brass or bronze(yellow metals) that may be in use since the trans has them in the synchros... wouldnt you want the speedo gear to be harder than the one you can pop in and out if ones gotta be planned wear possibly? Or perhaps the fitting the one spins in?
You must be registered for see images attach

im not always on the money but the stuff i bring up are just thoughts of what could or maybe there is a bronze sleeve like I think some newer trans use that crushes when you smush the gear on over it, and then it stays in fixed spot where it goes? and then the little driven one has some tolerances to accept end plays or run outs... idk. Im not a power transmissions expert but I know that things, as they grow in complexity, grow in wear points and wear points can be exacerbated by factors or initial work quality/build quality and repairs. Perhaps someone had a cable that got damn near impossible to spin and that was holding resistance on the parts inline as you showed us of yours

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
t
these look like they were being worn on the back ide or they were being pushed down ward toward front of trans.. am i wrong? look at the leading ones and the back ones.. wouldnt it be cut like a fastener not one that was slightly cross threaded and then ran down a thread which had a metric instead of sae cut fastener but it was *close* or it was just done one or two many times... possibly with dirty, abrasive lubricant or friction?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
also your video where you see shiny object and completely go to a new topic or thoughts is the most me thing ever

OOO SHINY

Now we know why I put so much chrome on my car.. stainless technically.. but its the shiny not the material. <3

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
also your video where you see shiny object and completely go to a new topic or thoughts is the most me thing ever

OOO SHINY

Now we know why I put so much chrome on my car.. stainless technically.. but its the shiny not the material. <3

Me and my dad spoke about it last night for the 80th time. I finally got all of my oil, gaskets and seals and it's all going back together tonight. We assume that it could've worn slightly, causing it not to be held in as much. Or perhaps when the output yoke was last tightened it wasn't tightened AS MUCH as it had to be. He's gonna pull some output shaft spacers out of his attic, put one or two of them on to keep constant pressure on this drive gear when we tighten the yoke. I've done countless research, heard all of you guys' opinions and it appears that MAYBE, just MAYBE that the drive gear DOES just slide off. I've watched a few SM465 teardowns and they all just had the drive gear, no clips or anything, and it would slide off. Think it just needs some tension from the yoke is all. We. Shall. See.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Luke, I am still thinking about this. What if the nylon driven gear is worn on it's bearing surface? When you tighten the cable adaptor nut it is supposed to push the nylon gear tight against the output shaft gear? Does the cable drive gear look worn? Gear teeth are worn sharp? Backside of the cable gear where it's bearing surface rides on the cable adaptor nut, is that worn?

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
As I said before, I have fixed this type of problem with Loctite.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
it looks like there is an inconsistent wear on the grooves and cuts, but its not in a pattern or consistent across, but not in the way of accel only not on decel etc it looks like something is moving in and out, or back to front and they are mesh

your potato makes me think it is indeed a gear that is like what the transfer cases use, and our grooves on both things are getting worn, me thinks, anf that is hard to tell why but there appears to be a worn leaing edge of your gear that is giving the center a rise and the one side is low and the other side is less. i think..... almost as if the gear isnt sitting in the right plane because of a worn housing or aapter nut thing. like tyrbo maybe suggested.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
@AuroraGirl @Turbo4whl ,

SO tonight was the big night of assembly and checking all of this and seeing how it goes. First thing i did was tighten the yoke on the output shaft WITHOUT THE TAILHOUSING to see how it engages the drive gear and whether i had to add spacers or not. I was able to do without housing because all that would interfere is the seal, but just the inner rubber part, NO PROBLEM. When it was tight, the drive gear was a solid as it gets; the yoke tightens up against it. There was no movement and everything looked excellent. Took the yoke back off and compared drive gear to the other speedo gear. Both seemed to mesh okay, drive gear was NOT worn on the edges or inner rim. That's all i needed to see. Put it all together: tailhousing, yoke, crossmember, driveshaft, filled the tranny, bled the rear brakes and set her down. Pulled it out after sitting for almost 2 months.

RESULTS:

-I have rear brakes now!
-Rear pinion seal is not leaking and has fresh fluid
-Tranny output shaft seal is not leaking and has fresh fluid (shifts great)
-AND I STILL HAVE NO SPEEDOMETER/ODOMETER!!!!!!

Ready to punch a wall actually but i'm still really happy to get it back on the road for its 2 year anniversary with me on the 10th :)

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
confirm your speedometer by taking it out and go find another square and just plug in and move it and see what it does. or swap into yours. maybe its stripped out on the thing that swipes but a drill.. does it fasterI guessidk but still

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Long test drive today. Everything was good, all but a noisy transmission. what oil would you have put in your tranny?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Long test drive today. Everything was good, all but a noisy transmission. what oil would you have put in your tranny?
GL-4 rated mineral oil. since the brass and bronze doesnt like gl-5 or vice versa. the manuals for the trucks say that I do believe, becaause I think even the 3 speed manuals (Synchromesh) have the same idea

Reactions: WFO

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
GL-4 rated mineral oil. since the brass and bronze doesnt like gl-5 or vice versa. the manuals for the trucks say that I do believe, becaause I think even the 3 speed manuals (Synchromesh) have the same idea

so GL-5 barely misses it? My dad's been around Squares his whole life, and when i held up 80w-90 GL-5 he signed off on it. It's that much of a difference?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad