1996 454 tbi in 87 GMC. Easy swap??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
Thanks to this thread I had to buy another truck because I fell in love with his truck and being a stepside. You just dont see step sides around here anymore. http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6896&highlight=circuitguy

To make a long story short, I ended up with a long bed fleetside. 87 GMC sierra TBI. Im going to shorten the frame for a shortbed and am in on the hunt for a stepside bed. I have a forum member here helping me out on a bed.

The truck has a tired but good 350 TBI with 700R4. Everything I got planned for the truck will take some time to plan.

My question is, How hard would it be to swap in a 96 454 TBI into my 87. I have the complete donor truck. 96 suburban 2500. Runs excellent. I know they get real bad gas mileage, but in a lighter truck with the tbi and true dual exhaust everything else stock, should make for a fun truck to drive.
Anyone done this swap?? :cheers:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Thanks to this thread I had to buy another truck because I fell in love with his truck and being a stepside. You just dont see step sides around here anymore. http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6896&highlight=circuitguy

To make a long story short, I ended up with a long bed fleetside. 87 GMC sierra TBI. Im going to shorten the frame for a shortbed and am in on the hunt for a stepside bed. I have a forum member here helping me out on a bed.

The truck has a tired but good 350 TBI with 700R4. Everything I got planned for the truck will take some time to plan.

My question is, How hard would it be to swap in a 96 454 TBI into my 87. I have the complete donor truck. 96 suburban 2500. Runs excellent. I know they get real bad gas mileage, but in a lighter truck with the tbi and true dual exhaust everything else stock, should make for a fun truck to drive.
Anyone done this swap?? :cheers:

I haven't seen anything like that on here. But totally do able if you pull all The ECMs and swap in both engine and tranny from the 96'

cooter55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Placitas, New Mexico...not really New...not really
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
1973, 1987
Truck Model
C20, R10
Engine Size
454FI, 350
Mechanically, not a hard swap. I believe the '96 454 used a high pressure throttle body so you would need the high pressure fuel pump or low pressure injectors from an earlier 454 and change the internal pressure regulator.

We've done several "street rod....no emissions" conversions, putting later model TBI's on early carbureted 454's with great results. Improved throttle response, easier starting in all conditions and improved mileage.

The '87 ECM did not control the transmission, it was a 700R4, so if you wanted to just hook up the 454 to your existing trans you could use your current ECM but get the chip reprogrammed for the 454 set up and what ever emissions stuff you intend to run. There are several companies like Howell Engineering that can burn a new chip if you don't have any one local.

I believe that at least 95% of what I've told you is true, but please read all the disclaimers, don't try this at home, read the label before using....

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
Mechanically, not a hard swap. I believe the '96 454 used a high pressure throttle body so you would need the high pressure fuel pump or low pressure injectors from an earlier 454 and change the internal pressure regulator.

We've done several "street rod....no emissions" conversions, putting later model TBI's on early carbureted 454's with great results. Improved throttle response, easier starting in all conditions and improved mileage.

The '87 ECM did not control the transmission, it was a 700R4, so if you wanted to just hook up the 454 to your existing trans you could use your current ECM but get the chip reprogrammed for the 454 set up and what ever emissions stuff you intend to run. There are several companies like Howell Engineering that can burn a new chip if you don't have any one local.

I believe that at least 95% of what I've told you is true, but please read all the disclaimers, don't try this at home, read the label before using....

So I can remove all the emissions ?? with no problems?

cooter55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Placitas, New Mexico...not really New...not really
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
1973, 1987
Truck Model
C20, R10
Engine Size
454FI, 350
So I can remove all the emissions ?? with no problems?

I didn't say you could....watching for the black helicopters....It all depends on how strict your state rules and regs are. Out here in the wild west where the sniffers haven't yet gone, it's a little looser but removal is a federal no no, so you're on your own there. Realistically, a properly set up fuel injection system is going to run way cleaner than a carb, even with a good tune.

Like I said in the disclaimer...read the label before using...

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
Lol. Got it. Please check your pm.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
700r4 + 454 = disaster................. 454 + 4L80e = sweet!

Just swap the whole driveline and use both the ECM and TCU from the 96' Don't waste your time pissing around with a 700r4 not to mention you would have to find a way to run a TV cable to your TBI ???

The 4l80 is soooooooooooo much better than a 700r4 anyways!

The only issue wth the 4l80 is that you cant run a mechanical speedo or can you?

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
700r4 + 454 = disaster................. 454 + 4L80e = sweet!

Just swap the whole driveline and use both the ECM and TCU from the 96' Don't waste your time pissing around with a 700r4 not to mention you would have to find a way to run a TV cable to your TBI ???

The 4l80 is soooooooooooo much better than a 700r4 anyways!

The only issue wth the 4l80 is that you cant run a mechanical speedo or can you?

I agree. But the burb has a 400 Trans. I want to keep my overdrive. I'm pretty sure I could fab a bracket for the 700R4

later plans are for a ls2 with 4l80. ..:cheers:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I agree. But the burb has a 400 Trans. I want to keep my overdrive. I'm pretty sure I could fab a bracket for the 700R4

later plans are for a ls2 with 4l80. ..:cheers:

Well you can get a TV cable bracket from a 1/2 ton TBI. whether it will swap to the BB I dunno

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes