1991 GMC Syclone starting problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Thought I'd get a few opinions here.

Mostly stock 1991 Syclone 4.3 turbo V6, gradually it's been hard to start, won't turn over at all, just *****, *****, ***** then it will start.

New starter, we replaced the wire to the neutral switch which we were told should be the problem from Sy/Ty owners, nada.

The Optima red top is only a couple of years old and the cables look good. Has a 200 amp alternator. BUT, the battery will die almost completely if the key is left on (engine off) for more than 10-15 minutes and that's not normal.

I had him try to start it with the lights on and when the key is on the lights are real dim, they don't completely go out but dim even more when trying to start. Once it starts the lights are full bright.

I'm thinking it's the battery myself. But I thought i'd throw it out here and see what you guys thought.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Thought I'd get a few opinions here.

Mostly stock 1991 Syclone 4.3 turbo V6, gradually it's been hard to start, won't turn over at all, just *****, *****, ***** then it will start.

New starter, we replaced the wire to the neutral switch which we were told should be the problem from Sy/Ty owners, nada.

The Optima red top is only a couple of years old and the cables look good. Has a 200 amp alternator. BUT, the battery will die almost completely if the key is left on (engine off) for more than 10-15 minutes and that's not normal.

I had him try to start it with the lights on and when the key is on the lights are real dim, they don't completely go out but dim even more when trying to start. Once it starts the lights are full bright.

I'm thinking it's the battery myself. But I thought i'd throw it out here and see what you guys thought.

it does sound like a dead cell. But the only way to know for sure is to have it load tested. I have always had better luck with the carbon pile load testers.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Have you tried swapping in a known good battery?

Last edited:

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Swapping it out...He has one in his storage unit that is known to be good...

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Sounds like a short circuit but start testing battery then alternator(maybe) then start checking for a short in a circuit somewhere in the wiring.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Load test the Batt.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yeah, swap the battery. Then try to charge the optima, I guess there's a special charge procedure to rejuvenate them. They are finicky, like the cat of batteries.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Misty Blue