1990 454 SS Pickup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've noticed over the last few days that my butt is starting to fall through the driver seat. I pulled the seat out, expecting to find some broken springs or something. But it's just foam? I looked at the passenger seat and it's just foam too, but that seat bottom still feels firm. So I'm not sure how to fix the seat the right way, the only thing I find wrong is the foam has rips in it. Surely it's not just foam that's supposed to support the weight of the average American, is it?

I rigged it in the mean time, with some all-thread and a pack of cheap gloves wrapped in tape. Don't laugh, it was better than a block of wood, lol. It wasn't uncomfortable how it was, but I didn't want the foam getting destroyed anymore and potentially ruining the seat fabric.
You must be registered for see images attach

It feels s little different now, but it should preserve the fabric that's in good shape still.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
That’s odd. I wonder if there’s some sort of tension wires molded into the foam that broke?

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Isn't it supposed to have that wire grid support under there?
Like this.

Decent Macgruber fix though.;)

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That’s odd. I wonder if there’s some sort of tension wires molded into the foam that broke?

I thought that might be the case, but I couldn't feel anything in the foam anywhere.

Isn't it supposed to have that wire grid support under there?
Like this.

Decent Macgruber fix though.;)

It doesn't appear it ever had the grid. No witness marks, no place to hook it to, and the other seat doesn't have one either.

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Odd the pic I posted is from that gen truck just bucket style.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
My 94 also had the springs, this one different

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Ok, apparently the SS seats are more different from the standard trucks than I originally thought.

Kim Burke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
That's what I assumed, but the rear locks up right quick. Most Gov-locs I've had didn't even work anymore, lol.

I think it's funny they bitched about the seats. They are some of the most comfy seats I've sat in.
Seriously Andy, I was 34 and still remember when I first took a long ride in my brother’s 89, my lower back was killing me when we got to Chicago. We took the front seat bolts out and put spacers under the seat brackets to lay the seat back. The complaint was real to me.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It turns out, sitting on that pack of gloves is far less comfy than I anticipated. After 1/2 hour or so, it becomes rather unpleasant. I picked up some foam, a small sheet of vinyl, a can of Super 77 adhesive, a 3/8 thick nylon wear plate (8"x8" roughly) and I've been brainstorming. I'm gonna try and get it fixed up in the next couple days.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I also really need to adjust the bed. It's very much out of alignment.

It needs pushed over to the right a good bit.

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Just the bottom? The top rail seems to match the cab laterally. Is the cab low or is the bed high? Or is it the picture and my ear infection?

mcarlo86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Seriously Andy, I was 34 and still remember when I first took a long ride in my brother’s 89, my lower back was killing me when we got to Chicago. We took the front seat bolts out and put spacers under the seat brackets to lay the seat back. The complaint was real to me.

The '88 and '89 seats were definitely not very good at all. '90-94's were much better. There was an upholstery shop in a town nearby me that specialized in re-building those '88 and '89 seats back in the day.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Just the bottom? The top rail seems to match the cab laterally. Is the cab low or is the bed high? Or is it the picture and my ear infection?

It's probably the angle of the picture. The top of the bed protrudes past the cab on the driver's side. The cab may be just slightly low, the mounts seem a little squishy. The cab wiggles when you close the door. Oddly, the red '94 that we had at the same time didn't have a cab that wiggled around and it had a boatload of miles on it. The early years must have had softer cab mounts.

I've worked on countless GMT 400's when I was at the shop. Thousands I would guess. I never realized how many minor little changes there were along the way until I've had this truck, and I've still got a lot left to learn.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Haven't driven the truck in over a month due to the weather. Also due to the weather, I have not fixed up the driver seat yet.

But, a friend of mine recently bought a fairly clean '93 Suburban and proceeded to install an aftermarket stereo. He gave me the working display unit, tuner and cassette deck so now I can put all that in the SS truck. Now I need to research how to add an auxiliary input to that setup. Anybody here know how? @RetroC10Sport maybe?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size