1987 Chevrolet V20 front leaf spring replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
Alright me again with yet another problem. I got new front leaf springs for my truck since when I got it there were lift blocks in the front to compensate the blown out droopy leaf springs. I have been battling getting the bolt out of the hangers for quite some time now. I can get the front bolt to spin a complete circle with a breaker bar but my brand new impact wrench I just bought hoping to help me out for this job won’t even make the bolt budge. I’ve been beating the bolt with a 2lb sledge hammer and I’ve got it to the hanger but I can’t really hammer it anymore. And after taking a sledge hammer blow to my thumb knuckle I figured it was time to ask for help.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Worst case scenario use a 4.5” grinder with a thin wheel and cut the bolt next to the spring on both sides.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
I can’t find replacement bolts, I don’t know the size. I looked up replacement leaf spring bolts for the front and I’ve found three different ones. I can tell the front is bigger around than the back one. The socket size was also smaller for back than front. I have access to a sawzall but I wanted that to be the last resort. I’ve already been without my truck for 9 days now due to the rear brakes but I don’t want to be without it for a long time. Do the bolts have to be replacement bolts or would general grade 8 hardware work?

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
What’s the Dayton Center Bolt? I don’t remember a center bolt unless it’s for the sway bar? I had 4 u bolt nuts and a smaller bolt for rear of spring and a bigger bolt in the front. I may try and asap ship them and just cut these

HOTFOOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc k3500 srw
Engine Size
What’s the Dayton Center Bolt? I don’t remember a center bolt unless it’s for the sway bar? I had 4 u bolt nuts and a smaller bolt for rear of spring and a bigger bolt in the front. I may try and asap ship them and just cut these
It holds the springs together in the middle.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
Ah I wondered that but I don’t plan on replacing any of that I have brand new leaf springs, I don’t have time to wait for shipping, would just a grade 8 bolt of the same size work? Like if I went to Lowe’s and got the bolts and nuts? Possibly washers? Tomorrow and Tuesday are the only above freezing days for a while and I’d really like to get it done by Tuesday. I’ll cut them if I can get new ones for sure that work. The front bolts are 9/16 5” bolt and rear is 7/16 5” I believe.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'd cut the nut with a 3-4" cut off wheel and reuse bolt if you had to. I'd also consider greasable bolts from ORD.

Your impact isn't working as the rubber bushing in the spring eye is absorbing the impact.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
I have already got both of the nuts for the drivers side haven’t touched passenger side, I can’t hammer the bolt out.. it spins with a breaker bar easier than breaking loose a lug nut, but the impact doesn’t make it budge. There should be no resistance on the spring the only thing holding it is the front and rear bolt. The axle is sitting on blocks under the truck. I tried a little heat a little bit ago and still couldn’t hammer it out.

disenough

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
brice
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
You can buy new greaseable bolts from off road design.
To get the stuck bolts out cut the heads off and use the nut to
pull the bolt out. When you run out of threads use washers or a
spacer to pull them all the way out.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Is the truck’s weight supported by the frame? If the truck’s weight is still on the axle this is your problem. The spring needs to be basically neutral of weight.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
Frame is on jacks, one behind spring and one in front, the axle is sitting on blocks the spring has about four inches or so between it and the axle, u-bolts are sitting on the hood. I assume the metal sleeve in the bushing rust welded it’s self to the bolt so I can’t hammer it out I dunno. I heard all about the resistance on the bolts through the axle weight and all that but my axle isn’t even connected to the spring. The only thing holding the spring in is the two bolts. Nuts have been removed without a problem but I just can’t push the bolt out.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Spray some wd40 on the bolt. You should be able to drive or pull it out then. You can use a pair of channel locks or vise grips and rotate back and forth while you beat on the vise grips with a mallet.

Or find a punch the right size and give that a go. If the bolt will rotate, it shouldn’t be too stuck.

Either way, I wouldn’t use those crusty bolts again.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
@Frankenchevy jack stand behind leaf spring and one in front of it as well. Ubolts removed, axle isn’t touching the leaf spring at all. Tried wd40, heat, a 2lb sledge hammer, a 3 foot pry bar, and vice grips. Can’t get the bolt out. Going to local hardware store tomorrow for two 9/16 5” bolts with new washers and nuts and two 7/16 5” bolts nuts and washer. Just going to resort to cutting and replacing.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
@Frankenchevy jack stand behind leaf spring and one in front of it as well. Ubolts removed, axle isn’t touching the leaf spring at all. Tried wd40, heat, a 2lb sledge hammer, a 3 foot pry bar, and vice grips. Can’t get the bolt out. Going to local hardware store tomorrow for two 9/16 5” bolts with new washers and nuts and two 7/16 5” bolts nuts and washer. Just going to resort to cutting and replacing.

I posted my response immediately after yours. I edited to take out the spring tension stuff.

You should be good with quality hardware. Hard part is finding a bolt with a long shoulder and short threads. The threads may wear out the bushing’s sleeve a little quicker, but I’m not sure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshuOne