1987 Chevrolet V20 front leaf spring replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
I have an extra set of bushings because when I bought the springs it said bushing not included but I ripped the bubble wrap off to find bushing already installed. I don’t remember exactly what springs I got but I believe pro comp 2.5” lift leaf springs. Trying to keep around the same ride height and get rid of the blown out springs and 2” lift blocks in the front that sketch me out.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Grade 8 is fine. And hardware store bolts will work if the shoulder is long enough.
Nice looking truck l. I’d get greaseable or factory bolts eventually though.
Bolts on my Jeep were froze solid to the bushings. Drilled out the rubber until it broke loose

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
^^^^ Yeah, what he said. My bolts were rusted solid to the steel sleeve inside the rubber bushings. Anytime I hammered it with everything I had the rubber would absorb a lot of the impact.
Had to cut/chop the bolts to get them out of there.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I upgraded to poly bushings on stock springs.
My front rubber bushings were frozen to both the bolt and the spring eye, so beating on the bolts did nothing. My new bushings came with new bolts, so I just cut the old bolt ends off on the front hangars and dropped the spring down and clear of the hangar. Then I had to drill out the rubber and finally get it loose from the spring. On stock springs there is also a metal sleeve around the front bushing and it has to be cut and hammered out. The smaller bolts on the rear hangars broke loose and came out without any problems,

Another really messy method I’ve seen in several YouTube postings is to use a torch and completely burn out the rubber bushings. Lots of very black smoke.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Grade 8 is fine. And hardware store bolts will work if the shoulder is long enough.
Nice looking truck l. I’d get greaseable or factory bolts eventually though.
Bolts on my Jeep were froze solid to the bushings. Drilled out the rubber until it broke loose
To qualify, I was re-using my springs, but new bushings and drop shackles, in the OP's case, not re-using the springs, I'd have given them about 5 minutes of effort before moving on to a grinder, sawzall or liquid metal maker!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Another really messy method I’ve seen in several YouTube postings is to use a torch and completely burn out the rubber bushings. Lots of very black smoke.
:oops: Ya, not everything on Youtube is the right way to do something, lol. Trust us, when we say drilling out the rubber is a better method!

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
I’m looking for new bolts right now then cutting old ones out so I can get my truck back already lol I miss it

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
You must be registered for see images attach

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350

Photos of current conditions and photos of why I’m replacing the springs. I have found one bolt for the front replacement so far. None of my bolts in stock are long enough so far.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
It looks like a you could drive that bolt out with a punch and hammer - no?

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
Nope 2lb sledge hammer won’t make either of them budge. I got the first one to where it is by hitting it with all I had I bet the bolt is seized to the metal sleeve inside bushing and the sleeve is stopping it from going farther.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
If the bolts are seized to the metal sleeve then they are junk, If they wont come out they certainly wont go in to the new sleeves. I'd go ahead and cut them so you can move forward when you get good bolts. You keep talking about the down time, leaving them in will just slow you down later when you need to be putting it together.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
I’m in search of new bolts because I need the truck back together by Wednesday. I’m hoping the ubolts aren’t too long, the ones on it are longer because of the blocks? I guess they can be cut down ? I wouldn’t think four bolts would be that difficult to find, but I can’t find long enough ones that have the threads in right location. Is a little threads inside the bushing fine?

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
:oops: Ya, not everything on Youtube is the right way to do something, lol. Trust us, when we say drilling out the rubber is a better method!
When I did mine, drilling didn't work at all. I ended up having to heat up the sleeve enough to slide it out of the rubber and then the rubber was able to fold in on itself and come out. I ended up having to use a sawzall with a carbide tipped blade to cut the bolts that were stuck. There was no way to get a cutoff wheel on them in the spot they were in on the rear. All bolts/bushings in both the front and rear are now ORD kevlar with greasable bolts.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Use a sawzall with carbide tipped blade and just cut between the spring and the hanger on the inside of that front hanger. For the rear, just unbolt the top bolt... The side will come right off and then you can grind or cut the head off the other bolts to get it the rest of the way off. Yes you can have threads inside the bushing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cmritz