1987 Chevrolet 350 tbi high idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
@Bextreme04 yessir, New radiator, cap, upper and lower hoses, heater core, and thermostat. And of course lots of coolant. I also replaced the hose on from radiator to over flow because mine had a crack but. I can send a picture of the heater core hoses, one has like three lines going down it long ways and one is smooth.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
You must be registered for see images attach

Here’s a photo of the heater core hoses, yes with the 195 thermostat it blows hot air. With the 160 not so much it was maybe barely warm. The heat works after I’d replaced the heater core. But when it started over heating during spring I didn’t need heat anyways so I put a 160 in it. It originally didn’t have one when I got it and I put a 180 in it for quit some time several months atleast

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
That is a good plan, its the trouble, obviously.

No need to take nothing else apart, you'll need a 9/16 and a #2 flathead. Remove the shroud and the hoses, installation is the opposite of removal. A monkey could do it.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
Watched a YouTube video and it said to remove the power steering because it blocks one bolt on the water pump. I’ll pick up a water pump when I go back to town in a bit and get to work changing it.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Put a 185 Robertson or Stant thermostat in it and leave it the f alone!

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
@Snoots you think it’s just the thermostat being junk? Or do I have a deeper problem?
Edit: a 185? Do you mean 195 or 180? I didn’t know they had a 185

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
If the temp is going bonkers you likely have air in the system and the water pump is cavitating.
I'd go the 'air in the system' route first.
Remove the radiator cap and run it up to temp. Keep some 50/50 handy and top it off as needed.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
I’ll go that route first. But @Bextreme04 mentioned the upper radiator hose shouldn’t feel tight before the thermostat opens. Is there a problem there? Or is it just building so much pressure before the thermostat opens that it feels tight?

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
Also should I work on getting a replacement sensor in the driver side cylinder head since apparently it’s for the gauge? Just to make sure? Or should it be fine

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I’ll go that route first. But @Bextreme04 mentioned the upper radiator hose shouldn’t feel tight before the thermostat opens. Is there a problem there? Or is it just building so much pressure before the thermostat opens that it feels tight?
Yes. This is normal.
Focus on the water pump..

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
@Rusty Nail im going to try to get all the air out of the system first and see what happens then see if the water pump is letting any water seep out and then replace it if still over heating.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
By bleeder do you mean the thermostat housings that have the bolt you can remove on top? Also just took the truck back down the same route so I could get home and the temperature gauge didn’t even drop this time, it got to around 240 and I just shut the truck off and coasted in neutral waiting on the gauge to drop then started the truck back and kept going until it got warm again and then coasted again. Still don’t hear any boiling or steam. I really need to verify the accuracy of the gauge. I have an aftermarket thermostat housing and I believe it has a bolt on top(grub screw is what I’d actually call it) I bought it when mine kept leaking but I didn’t like the angle the neck went up and the hose angle.
I don’t mean the bolt on top I mean the bleeder valves that in my case have a hex brass needle with a base you hold with another hex from turning. It’s like a carb jet on a small engine almost. Loosen and the passage Is open and it’s at the high point of the system(my car) but you would have to be down hill slightly for yours id think

I wasn’t being serious

I’d say if it’s oe water pump it deserves a pull off to check the fins and replace if it seems wearing or worn.

Also your truck should have a special water pump pulley that either lets a poly v belt ride on it or similar, I do believe! Does your truck use a poly v belt for the ..alternator? I can’t remember what those drove. Serpentine came in 88 or something?

@Rusty Nail @bucket im tagging you because you would both probably know because the other thing I wanted to mention is what like of pulley diameter is the OE water pump supposed to have for a 87 poly v belt. I’d almost expect a smaller pulley or a smaller crank pulley than a v belt pre tbi vehicle because the temp became important to the computer to manage open loop vs cold loop and pulley sizing may have been more scienced for allowing warm up and keeping under too hot. But possibly with less leeway, say, worn impellars from abrasive coolant and many many spins from use. (Rusty said it appeared OEM install?)

edit: I didnt see some of the newer pages of talk it looks like bex brought up a lot that I was getting at himself. The Reverse rotation point is a good question too. If it was a race engine, its possible but not super likely it used a serpentine setup.. so maybe not bad to verify the impellars/part number when changing/checking. I think the age/wear concern definitely takes a higher likelihood tho, still.

Last edited:

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
You must be registered for see images attach

Appears to me that there’s two serpentine belts and a v belt? The v belt goes to power steering. I asked dad last night if he ever replaced the water pump and he said he couldn’t remember but it’s a good possibility it’s junk. He said to let it run and check the “weep holes”? And see if the water pump is letting out coolant. He said when it was overheating on him he drained the coolant several times and described the liquid as a brown color(rust?) and after he said that I remembered when I first got it abs drained the coolant to change lower radiator hose it was also an orangish brown color. I’m going to try to get the air out today and if that doesn’t help I’m going to replace the water pump. My ALDL cable came in yesterday so while I’m trying to get air out of the system I’ll leave a laptop hooked up and monitor what’s going on and try to see when closed/open loop occurs and any other changes I think may be useful.
Edit: the alternator is only one I know for sure is serpentine(middle) the air pump belt I honestly can’t remember

Hugomartin

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 3/4 ton 5.7 350 suburban
Engine Size
@Hugomartin how old is the hose? If it’s collapsing it’s probably deteriorated. How does the hose feel? Super soft and squishy like a balloon? Is it hard and crunchy? Or does it feel normal and good condition?
It does not feel old it’s in good condition

Hugomartin

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 3/4 ton 5.7 350 suburban
Engine Size
Well I was going to go ahead and set the timing right but apparently my timing light only had one use left in it. It won’t do jack nothin tonight. But the truck idles around 650 now and starts with a bump of the key :D although it’s a little rich you can hear it occasionally pop more often and it sounds like it bubbles down the exhaust tube kinda I dunno how to explain it you can hear it coming before it shoots out the exhaust tip. It took forever to get to temperature, and the thermostat was still lagging behind tho.
From my limited knowledge set the dist cap slightly advanced and goofing around with the idle screw are the only two ways I know of tuning this truck. Mine is still spitting oil out the dipstick I suspect my idle still may be high... but from what I’ve been reading the valve rings? Could be an issue. I get a good amount of blow by on the valve cover where the pvc valve is at. I’m also unsure if my pvc valve is working correctly, it runs fine but pisses out oil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76