1986 K1500 Starting Problem After Cleaning Q-Jet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

domino33

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
262 4.3 v6
Okay so carb was gummed up bad. It is a Quadrajet M4MED. Engine is a 4.3l v6. I took carb off, did a pine sol soak, then a water/dish soap soak. Inside wasn't as dirty as expected.

So I put it back on, hooked all vac lines up how they should be. Thing looks nice sitting in there...
Went to turn it over, first couple times seemed like it was gonna go, then nothing.
Kept trying..all I got was clicking from what i guess is the m/c solenoid. Tried putting gas in the float bowls. After a few tries, there is nothing at all.
Can't see how it would be a starter because the truck started fine and ran decent before I took off carb to clean it...was just running rich but when I went to adjust idle screws, i noticed how gummed up it was and just decided to take it off and clean. Truck always started right up since I got it (two months ago). Replaced everything exactly how it was. Don't know what to do from here... New to carbureted engines.....

Did I mess up the m/c solenoid by soaking it? I soaked whole carb as I read was okay (maybe not, not realizing the m/c solenoid) dried it out with air compressor. Any tips or suggestions would be great

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Try a little fuel in the throttle bore and see if it fires up. Fuel pump might need to prime the line up.

domino33

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
262 4.3 v6
I tried and got nothing. its not even trying. Just click click click Not sure what this could be other than something with the carb though seeing as everything worked before I had the carb off? Very first time i cranked it sounded like it was gonna go and got progressively worse. possible that starter died? what components on the carb could fail and would cause it not to turn over?

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Your battery cables are loose. If it's just clicked when you turn the key. Wiggle the cables and it will turn over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

domino33

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
262 4.3 v6
okay. i did check them very quickly for corrosion but found nothing. also turned lights on to see how bright they were and they seemed bright as normal. would be great if thats all it is. will go out in the morning and check it out. thanks

Quadrajet Power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
If it is just clicking, and your cables are connected good, then it sounds like your starter solenoid is bad. No relation to the carb being cleaned.
Btw, I wouldn't soak any carb solenoid in fluid. They aren't designed for that.

domino33

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
262 4.3 v6
yeah so that is probably shot then? the mc solenoid? just kind went for it ya know.

it just clicks, dash lights flash. brief pause before it starts clicking. havent had anyone around to turn the key for me so i can check things out. would it be normal for starter solenoid to go out like that? truck started everytime prior to carb disassembly, granted its winter, it was never really that hard to get started i should say

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Before you get into anything expensive, check the battery cables, the big positive one to the starter and the big negative one to the alternator bracket. These corrode internally with no outward sign sometime after 10 years. Moving them around, or temp changes, or, or, or, can make them fail or drastically reduce their current capacity.

If they are more than 10 years old, I would just replace them. But if you want to test them, here is how. Set a voltmeter to read volts. Connect the voltmeter to the batter negative post and to the other end of the cable on the alternator bracket. Have someone try to crank the engine while you read the voltage. Anything over 1/2 volt, the cable is shot. Other cable, same procedure.

We had a rash of these last year on various forums. Guys replaced battery, starter, tightened cable connections, etc. Ended up being a bad cable, which is like $15.

domino33

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
262 4.3 v6
Okay thanks Rich. gonna see what's going on here in a bit once I decide to venture into the new snow we got last night

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Ok I am misunderstanding the whole scenario here, you mean the engine is not actually cranking/turning over then?

domino33

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
262 4.3 v6
correct. very first time i tried- engine did crank. now i turn key and just get clicking

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Did you try getting a jump? I am wondering if the battery took a **** on you. Do you have a load tester?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Ok I am misunderstanding the whole scenario here, you mean the engine is not actually cranking/turning over then?

You're talking about this right, John?

Went to turn it over, first couple times seemed like it was gonna go, then nothing.
Kept trying..all I got was clicking from what i guess is the m/c solenoid. Tried putting gas in the float bowls. After a few tries, there is nothing at all.

I was scratching my head as well, that's why I hung back.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
You're talking about this right, John?

I was scratching my head as well, that's why I hung back.

Yep. Little confusing.

It has been my experience that the m/c solenoid is supposed to click. That means its doing its job. This has nothing to do with the engine not cranking.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
It has been my experience that the m/c solenoid is supposed to click. That means its doing its job.

Nailed it!

When the MC solenoid is energized (down position), fuel flow is reduced, providing leaner mixtures. When the solenoid circuit is open (up position), more fuel is allowed to flow, providing richer mixtures. The ECM cycles the MC solenoid ``on and off'' at a fixed rate of 10 times per second, but varies the amount of time that the solenoid is energized per cycle (dwell period) to control air/fuel mixture.

Why don't you go ahead and give yourself a couple of reputation points.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jingle1