1986 K1500 Starting Problem After Cleaning Q-Jet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

domino33

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
262 4.3 v6
i felt the mc solenoid clicking was mentionable as I also mentioned that I wondered if I had destroyed it by soaking it..apparently not since its clicking..was just getting some confirmation that its working. I know it has nothing to do with engine cranking obviously but that is the only sound I hear.........

I think battery too. away from the truck til monday..kinda glad because its 0 degrees.
got a meter today..gonna try getting a jump first. then test battery. Again, lights turn on and are bright as normal. so i guess we'll see.

Title may not be appropriate anymore, but taking the carb off for the first time, then having a problem right after it goes back on, well I just kept thinking, what did i do wrong?

Last edited:

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
Not a bad place to start your trouble shooting. Too many guys start throwing parts at problems and $800 later it comes out that I started by adjusting ____ but that "shouldn't" have done anything, right??? I like to start with what I have touched most recently and rule that out first.

domino33

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
262 4.3 v6
Okay so it was battery, died on me but after I got a jump it turned over. Couldn't get it to idle though at all, it is cold here but I'm guessing the carb needs adjusted. I set the screws at two and a half turns out as I read that was factory setting and I was just gonna go from there, haven't touched idle screw..my power source had to leave so until I can work on it I'd like to get some advice as to what to do right off the bat

Scotty glad I didn't jump to any conclusions, went out today and no lights so I knew. But, suppose carb in the end will be guilty of something. A great mechanic would make a decent detective.

Last edited:

domino33

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
262 4.3 v6
so like i said battery was fried, wouldnt hold a charge. so a new one is on the way. interstate mega tron plus. But i know i will have to tinker with the carb... any suggestions? as stated above i have the screws two and a half turns out...is there a better position that would help with starting the truck and getting it to idle in this cold? also barely touched the idle screw on the drivers side, it seems to have the spring scrunched up quite a bit. should i mess with the screw on the choke side? yes i depressed gas pedal all the way before cranking. usually ill depress it about 2/3 of the way while cranking too if i dont get anything after a few cranks.. as it states in the owners manual. choke seems to be working. thanks in advance!!!

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yay!!! I knew it was the battery! :party36:

You picked a good replacement too! That Mega Tron battery is one of the best ones I ever owned. :)

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
go 1.5 out on the mixture and try it again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quadrajet Power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Your air/idle mixture screws should be set at the point you have the highest vacuum reading, or highest file tom. Then set your idle screw for proper idle rpm.
I usually start at 1.5 turns out and go from there. Adjust one side at a time.

Glad you found you problem with the battery.

domino33

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
262 4.3 v6
thank you all. going to turn them in a turn then and see what happens. with new battery it cranks right up and sounds better than it did.... barely have to have my foot on it to idle.. not as cold out about 25 degrees so thats nice. dont always have access to a computer so sorry for late response

domino33

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
262 4.3 v6
went to change mixture and i am having problem getting my tool on the passenger side screw....have correct tool and drivers side isnt a problem...just cant get the bit onto the other screw!!! driving me nuts..had no problem beforehand. dont want to take carb off again just to adjust screw (incorrect way anyhow) any tips?

Quadrajet Power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
When I build one of the newer carbs, I take the idle screws out and cut a line across them that a small flat blade screwdriver will fit. That makes it a little easier than trying to use the tool. You might not be able to get it at the right angle.

domino33

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
262 4.3 v6
perfect idea, that would solve the problem indefinitely, think im gonna have to take it off and do that....spent a few hours..literally..and no luck, obviously they were way out prior to taking the carb off and therefore i was able to get to it.

got truck to idle barely with the screws as they are (2.5 out).. some black spit out the exhaust, just a little.. easy to see because of the snow, probably did that before i took off the carb too, also, it did backfire a bit at the time around 4-5k rpm. that has ceased since i took carb off and set screw at 2.5 out.

no black smoke, just white, fair amount as i put a little sea foam in the oil.

I want to get a timing light and check that out. is it possible that p.o. backed out the screws so much just to get it to idle in order to account for bad timing?

something with my choke that im not seeing? it shuts and slightly opens as i get it warmer but i dont have time to look at it really and have no one to help me out

Quadrajet Power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
The choke, when warm, should be fully open.

domino33

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
262 4.3 v6
Yes it is

Latest posts

Forum statistics