1985 S-10 (carb) v6 Auto problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasOutlaw87Cummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 30
Engine Size
5.9 cummins
Hey guys I'm posting this for a friend of mine . He's got a 1985 v6 2.8 carb . We changed the plugs wires an cap and rotor . An still kinda idles ruff like its missing . I haven't but a vacume gauge on it yet . But seems that it would pull 17 steady needle , doesn't act like any thing mechanical is wrong at idle . When her drives it , the engine falls flat on its face till high RPMS then it runs really good , that's why I kinda think its advance or timing . How does there
Inf advance on these trucks work ? What esle would cause that ? I'd really appreciate the help , oh and it's got a check engine light , how do I check it , thanks !!!

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Hey guys I'm posting this for a friend of mine . He's got a 1985 v6 2.8 carb . We changed the plugs wires an cap and rotor . An still kinda idles ruff like its missing . I haven't but a vacume gauge on it yet . But seems that it would pull 17 steady needle , doesn't act like any thing mechanical is wrong at idle . When her drives it , the engine falls flat on its face till high RPMS then it runs really good , that's why I kinda think its advance or timing . How does there
Inf advance on these trucks work ? What esle would cause that ? I'd really appreciate the help , oh and it's got a check engine light , how do I check it , thanks !!!

You still in Cali?
If that has the ECM controlled Dual jet carb, the Tps might be bad if its not advancing. try putting a timing light on it to confirm. check for a loose throttle shaft and a good shot from the accell pump as well.
Fuel filter?
Does it catch up at WOT? the ecm only controls stuff to part throttle, the rest is old fashioned carb.

Last edited:

TexasOutlaw87Cummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 30
Engine Size
5.9 cummins
Yea like at WOT it will catch up like once you roll the pedal so far it will run good . Idle to that point no power runs like crap . A computer carb ? Wow haha ok ill look at the Tps has a check engine light also but don't know the paper clip trick on these . Yep changed the fuel filter . All the tune up stuff is done but just couldn't figure out why it runs run at idle and no power till WOT

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Yea like at WOT it will catch up like once you roll the pedal so far it will run good . Idle to that point no power runs like crap . A computer carb ? Wow haha ok ill look at the Tps has a check engine light also but don't know the paper clip trick on these . Yep changed the fuel filter . All the tune up stuff is done but just couldn't figure out why it runs run at idle and no power till WOT

Treat it as a normal carburetor...sounds like fuel may blocked somewhere. maye pull it apart and clean it real good...maybe do a full rebuild, and take the base to have bushings installed, or call SMI carbs and see if the can do it.
Paperclip trick is the same. jump a and b together, switch the key on(dont start) and watch the light.
Have you checked for vac leaks too?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64