1985 Column repair in Houston TX. Anyone know who??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
I need a column rebuilt. But I want someone who knows what they are doing.
Any one in houston know of a shop or person? Thanks.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
I need a column rebuilt. But I want someone who knows what they are doing.
Any one in houston know of a shop or person? Thanks.

When my 91 Sub was stolen my hot rod mechanics fixed it for me (insurance job, so I just let them knock it out).

They are not general mechanics as a choice so I can't recommend them for that reason.

I used to work for a company that did nothing but column repair, but they are long one so the benches, tools, paint booth , etc that I used are long gone.

I still have some of the tools I need, though.

You might try calling Sharpstown Automotive - they have been around for a long time and may be able to do it.

Not sure what side of town you are on, either - Sharpstown is on the SW side.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
When my 91 Sub was stolen my hot rod mechanics fixed it for me (insurance job, so I just let them knock it out).

They are not general mechanics as a choice so I can't recommend them for that reason.

I used to work for a company that did nothing but column repair, but they are long one so the benches, tools, paint booth , etc that I used are long gone.

I still have some of the tools I need, though.

You might try calling Sharpstown Automotive - they have been around for a long time and may be able to do it.

Not sure what side of town you are on, either - Sharpstown is on the SW side.

If I need special tools rent them to me and I can do it myself. I have no time lol. If I have to I will. Prefer someone else to do it LOL. Thanks

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
If I need special tools rent them to me and I can do it myself. I have no time lol. If I have to I will. Prefer someone else to do it LOL. Thanks

What I have is a cheap ass lock plate puller - but, it works - and a good quality pivot pin puller. The rest is all standard hand tools if you are just fixing a loose column.

If you are having to replace the bowl GM shows all sorts of fancy tools - we actually never used those. A big screwdriver " Fred" and a rubber mallet applied carefully will not damage the column.

You just need the ability to pull the column and a vice to put it into or some fabbed mount like we used.

I worked for Fireystem - we drove out, pulled the column, repaired it and installed t the next business day.

Long since gone, but there may be other people following the same gig. Dunno.

I think the trick is finding an older shop or older mechanics that can say, Oh, yeah, it's been a while but I have done one of those as opposed to the We Can FIX Anything ! mentality.

We picked up from several shops that had just basket cased the column and then could not figure out how to put it back together. Took stuff apart that there was no need to take apart .

Not rocket science, but like anything there is a learning curve.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K5Chris