1985 c20 Distributor Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

r.booser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
New member and recently purchased my first square body 350 c20. I have wanted one for a while so let the work begin. I purchased this vehicle for a good price knowing the it needs some work. After changing the thermostat, plugs and wires I was able to get her fired up. Since this is my first I'm not a master mechanic I was hoping for some pointers. It was about 10 degrees out and she wouldn't start. Would roll over but nothing. Now the other day when I had it running I would shut it off, come back 30 minutes later and it would fire right up (it was in the 50's). I was going to change the cap and rotor but it seems the problem might be the ignition coil also. But my question is should I just replace the whole distributor? That way I have all new internals. If so any suggestions? I don't want to waste money but I also want everything to run well.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
First off, welcome to GMSB!

As to your question, I'm no master mechanic either by any means. But if you have the money, I would get a new distributor. The bushings can get worn in old ones and cause all sorts of grief. Not to mention that by the time you replace all the internals, you'll be halfway to a new one anyway.

r.booser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
That is what I was leaning towards just wanted some opinions. Do you have any suggestions? Or what not to purchase?

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I've only ever used the stock GM HEI, but I've heard good things about MSD distributors. A lot of people seem to like the Summit Racing brand dist as well.

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
This may seem like a silly question but I'm assuming its carbureted and that you know to set the choke? Maybe the choke needs to be adjusted?

My choke still isn't right but it will at least start up when cold.

I only ask that questions because some younger folks learned to drive with newer vehicles that have all been fuel injected of some sort and never learned to mash the pedal twice before starting up a car with a carburetor.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

r.booser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Thanks for the help guys! Yes I do pump the gas and sadly that isn't a silly question. I know plenty of people that have no idea hot to change their own oil let alone something that simple. Thanks for the ebay link, they are just an hour down the road so hopefully I'll have that tomorrow. That is a steal for a OEM spec distributor. Any other suggestions would be great. Can't wait to fix this thing up!

John81287

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
1985 c20

This may seem like a silly question but I'm assuming its carbureted and that you know to set the choke? Maybe the choke needs to be adjusted?

My choke still isn't right but it will at least start up when cold.

I only ask that questions because some younger folks learned to drive with newer vehicles that have all been fuel injected of some sort and never learned to mash the pedal twice before starting up a car with a carburetor.

This only works with a mech fuel pump. If your truck is crossbreed like mine I have a carb with a electric fuel pump. Mashing the pedal doesn't do much for mine.

r.booser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
it is not electronic yet. But I'm thinking about adding that once I get it up and running properly.

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
Mashing the pedal gives a couple of squirts from the accelerator pump, should help regardless of what type of fuel pump. Since a carb relies on vacuum to get fuel flowing instead of a pressurized spray from injectors that is important to get some fuel into the intake during low vacuum cranking.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
This only works with a mech fuel pump. If your truck is crossbreed like mine I have a carb with a electric fuel pump. Mashing the pedal doesn't do much for mine.

Mashing the pedal gives a couple of squirts from the accelerator pump, should help regardless of what type of fuel pump. Since a carb relies on vacuum to get fuel flowing instead of a pressurized spray from injectors that is important to get some fuel into the intake during low vacuum cranking.

That's right. If it's carbed, manual or electric pump doesn't matter. You still have to pump it for the accelerator pump to some fuel in the throat of the carb and to set the choke too if you have auto choke.

If you're not getting much help from pumping the gas John, you might have weak acceleator pump in the carb. When it goes completely, you'll know it when you take from a light and it stalls.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Welcome to GMSB Ron. C20's are one of my favorite models. I like the ride and the stance.

I agree with 89Suburban, you might look into one of those $50 Skip White distrubutors on eBay. They are China made Pro Form, but work well so far. I'm using 2 of them myself. You can hardley get a cap and rotor for that price these days.

r.booser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
purchased one and threw it in. After doing it 180 degrees off and fixing it we are finally up and running. Now time to hook back up the heater coil and hope she doesn't leak!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
180 degrees out... That's called experience. Seems everyone has to go through that at least once before they get it right. :lol:

r.booser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
well trust me, lesson learned.

Latest posts

Forum statistics