1984 C30 Dually Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MuffinMan

Reaction score
First Name
Cole
Truck Year
1986 | 1984
Truck Model
Sierra 1500 | Silverado 3500
Engine Size
6.0 LQ4 | 454
Just picked up my first C30 so I'm trying to do some research.

It appears the duallys have this style rotor up front:
You must be registered for see images attach

Why is the front like this on the C30 dually but not single rear wheel or on the C20?
Any alternatives like bolt together rotors and hubs?

Also for the rear brakes, are the 3.5 and 2.5in wide drums interchangeable? What are the application differences?

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Front and rear wheels are interchangeable, drop center. Bearings on both ends need to be centered under wheels. Depth of the rotor makes up the difference between a normal wheel and a drop center style. Nearly no parts are interchangeable between 2 brake sizes depending on GVW. I have never seen a 2 piece rotor for this application but maybe there is an aftermarket supplier. Those rotors are heavy, expensive and a little difficult to line up cotter key. I made an install tool out of a piece of pipe to install dust cap.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Why the desire to get away from that type of hub/rotor?

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Those old rotors are thick enough, if the surface is poor they can be re-cut. Many parts houses would have rotor and drum machines to surface them.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Those old rotors are thick enough, if the surface is poor they can be re-cut. Many parts houses would have rotor and drum machines to surface them.
Believe there is only .080 of material before minimum, really not that much. Get metal to metal, they are done. Agree there seems to be a lot of material but when cut too far there isn't enough mass to dissipate heat. Then there is that pesky liability.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Yes metal does cut the rotor quick. If you are not the original owner, they may have been already resurfaced.