1981 Silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Holy ****, this was like a car accident you just can't look away from. I couldn't stop reading. Just saying down here in Texas you might have gotten a grand. I did find it funny he started off at 10K. If he did sell it, good for him. Does prove the fact there are people out there with more money than brains.

I just think it's funny that the biggest (only?) selling point of the truck through this whole ordeal was the original body and paint. Then after price comes down closer to reality and the title is shown to be good, we find out it's not original paint or even the original color, lol.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
This thread is a great example of how NOT to advertise your truck for sale.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
This thread is a great example of how NOT to advertise your truck for sale.

But now I know I can get 12k for my rundown '81, which does have the factory paint, factory body, factory engine and transmission, and is a three-owner-truck. I wouldn't even dream of asking that much for it if I decided to sell it, I have a conscience, and to me nothing in this world has increased in value the way the greed-mongers will say they have, while asking way too much for a piece dog poop, no matter what their version of dog poop is. I would ask 5k or 6k because it is actually worth more than that according to nadaguides, but it isn't mint, it is used and it shows it's use through the years, which gives it character.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
I always tell people who ask "what's it worth", Nothing , cause it's NOT for sale

Back when I only had Mean Green (1965 C20), the only shade I had out front was a Sacramento Ash with a great umbrella canopy. So I parked it at the front of the driveway in the shade. A guy comes knocking on my door asking how much for the truck. I tell him it's not for sale, but if he had 10k cash it was his. 10k!? Yep. I would pay 1.5k tops because it would only be a dump runner once in a while. WHAT!? For one, it's not for sale, and second, I wouldn't sell it to you if you were going to let it sit and rot, it's a daily driver. Well, you parked out front like it's for sale. I parked it in the shade, it's not for sale, go on get.

John Nes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1987, 1979, 1973
Truck Model
R10, Sierra, C20
Engine Size
5.7 350tbi , 5.7 350, 5.7 350
Back when I only had Mean Green (1965 C20), the only shade I had out front was a Sacramento Ash with a great umbrella canopy. So I parked it at the front of the driveway in the shade. A guy comes knocking on my door asking how much for the truck. I tell him it's not for sale, but if he had 10k cash it was his. 10k!? Yep. I would pay 1.5k tops because it would only be a dump runner once in a while. WHAT!? For one, it's not for sale, and second, I wouldn't sell it to you if you were going to let it sit and rot, it's a daily driver. Well, you parked out front like it's for sale. I parked it in the shade, it's not for sale, go on get.
Shoot, I was at the ATM and a dude came out of the bank, asked “how much” told em 14k (because who would pay that?!) and to my surprise he was like, “cool, let’s go inside and get it handled”...def didn’t expect em to actually have it, and had to quickly say I was ****** with em.

now tho. When anyone asks I just reply “you give me 20k and I’ll go home right now and get the title”

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
When I was in High school, my dad and I went to the Big 3 Swap meet that use to come to Jack Murphy Stadium in San Diego every year around Presidents weekend. We were there looking for some parts for my dads 50 Lincoln, and I still needed a few interior parts for my 40 Merc. We had spent the better part of the day on the hunt, headed back out to my car, and the ass-hat was sitting on my car fender. My dad told him to unass himself from my car. He asked my dad how much for the Merc., my dad told him he's asking the wrong guy. He looked at me and chuckled, and than told me he would give me 8K for it. I looked at him and said "8K---WOW Really?" I told him to go screw himself. I said you have no clue what is under the hood, behind the motor, or what rear-end is in it. I got into my car fired it off, and drove away. The next day my dad and I were back at the swap meet, and that same ass-hat comes walking up with a whole different attitude. Started asking questions about the car, and than I told him it wasn't for sale. When he said 25K, I looked at my dad, and pulled my dad off to the side and talked to him a bit about that offer. My dad said it was up to me, but that is a hell of an offer, since maybe we had 9K in it. I told him cash...he said cashiers check be OK? I was 16ish, I'd never even heard of a cashiers check...my dad laughed and said that would be fine. One of the hardest phone calls I've ever made, calling my mom to come get us from the Swap Meet, and bring the Pink Slip to my 40 Merc.

Sunday comes and we are headed back to the Swap Meet in my dads 50 Lincoln. Cool car, figured that was going to be my next project, buy it off the old man with the money I just got, and finish it out. We come out to go to lunch, and there is a older gentleman, sitting on the tailgate of his 53 Ford. First words out of him mouth were...How we doing today gents? Who's Lincoln? My dad said it was his and mine...Father/Son project, and wasn't really for sale. He grind at my dad and said "We both know everything has a price" The older gentleman explained he had a 50 Lincoln when he was in high school, and sold it when he shipped off to Viet Nam. Automatic bonding with my dad. They talked about the military a bit, looked the car over a bit, my dad gave him the run down on what has been done to it. The guy said with out batting an eye 18K. I think we had 6K in it, with the Blown Flat Head, the Trans being rebuild, new clutch, the 4 hydraulic cylinders for the power windows, and the case of Flat Black spray paint we sprayed the car with to make it one color. My dad said go call your mother, and tell her to come pick us up, and bring the Pink Slip. I quickly replied "Oh Hell No, I'm not getting an ass chewing again" My dad called me a *****, and went and called my mom. On the way home my mom informed my dad and me we are no longer aloud to go to the swap meet with our Hot Rods ever again.

I would like to say my Extracab isn't for sale, but if someone offered me enough money...Maybe

Last edited:

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
When I was in High school, my dad and I went to the Big 3 Swap meet that use to come to Jack Murphy Stadium in San Diego every year around Presidents weekend. We were there looking for some parts for my dads 50 Lincoln, and I still needed a few interior parts for my 40 Merc. We had spent the better part of the day on the hunt, headed back out to my car, and the ass-hat was sitting on my car fender. My dad told him to unass himself from my car. He asked my dad how much for the Merc., my dad told him he's asking the wrong guy. He looked at me and chuckled, and than told me he would give me 8K for it. I looked at him and said "8K---WOW Really?" I told him to go screw himself. I said you have no clue what is under the hood, behind the motor, or what rear-end is in it. I got into my car fired it off, and drove away. The next day my dad and I were back at the swap meet, and that same ass-hat comes walking up with a whole different attitude. Started asking questions about the car, and than I told him it wasn't for sale. When he said 25K, I looked at my dad, and pulled my dad off to the side and talked to him a bit about that offer. My dad said it was up to me, but that is a hell of an offer, since maybe we had 9K in it. I told him cash...he said cashiers check be OK? I was 16ish, I'd never even heard of a cashiers check...my dad laughed and said that would be fine. One of the hardest phone calls I've ever made, calling my mom to come get us from the Swap Meet, and bring the Pink Slip to my 40 Merc.

Sunday comes and we are headed back to the Swap Meet in my dads 50 Lincoln. Cool car, figured that was going to be my next project, buy it off the old man with the money I just got, and finish it out. We come out to go to lunch, and there is a older gentleman, sitting on the tailgate of his 53 Ford. First words out of him mouth were...How we doing today gents? Who's Lincoln? My dad said it was his and mine...Father/Son project, and wasn't really for sale. He grind at my dad and said "We both know everything has a price" The older gentleman explained he had a 50 Lincoln when he was in high school, and sold it when he shipped off to Viet Nam. Automatic bonding with my dad. They talked about the military a bit, looked the car over a bit, my dad gave him the run down on what has been done to it. The guy said with out batting an eye 18K. I think we had 6K in it, with the Blown Flat Head, the Trans being rebuild, new clutch, the 4 hydraulic cylinders for the power windows, and the case of Flat Black spray paint we sprayed the car with to make it one color. My dad said go call your mother, and tell her to come pick us up, and bring the Pink Slip. I quickly replied "Oh Hell No, I'm not getting an ass chewing again" My dad called me a *****, and went and called my mom. On the way home my mom informed my dad and me we are no longer aloud to go to the swap meet with out Hot Rods ever again.

I would like to say my Extracab isn't for sale, but if someone offered me enough money...Maybe

That is an awesome story! Thanks for sharing that. I can only imagine what mom had to say on those drives back home

Raybo135

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Raymond
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
Also it’s a perfectly straight truck. Never wrecked. No rust either, and it’s all original paint and body.
How can it be original paint? the inside is copper colored and the exterior is Black. I am going to guess, beyond a reasonable doubt, the black is new paint! ! !

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
@DoubleDingo Does it say "for sale" ..*******?? GTFO

I was just thinking about that tree. The electric company came through one winter and pollarded it so it would clear their lines. It didn't survive. My daughter was down on a visitation weekend and I commenced to cutting it down. It was calm when I started, but the breeze was picking up some after I got the pie cut and back cut going. I didn't want it falling in the street so I pulled Mean Green as far up in the driveway as I could so it would be clear of the felled tree. I got my come-along set up to the rear bumper, and got a chain hooked up to the tree. With the come-along up by the truck I told my daughter to slowly draw the come-along in one click at a time, but be when she heard the crack of the tree coming down, be ready to move. Since the tree was dry, it didn't do the normal crack................crack................crack....crack....crack....crash. It was more of a crack.....crack..crash. I was cutting more on the back cut when this happened, and I looked over to see where my daughter was, and she was nowhere to be seen. Kiddo!? Yeah, I heard her voice, and then she came out from the front of the truck. I started laughing, what the heck kiddo, you ran so dang fast you couldn't be seen. She literally got to the front of the truck in a split second...lol... She said, "You told me to get out of the way when it cracked, so I did." Yeah, but I have never seen you run that fast before...lol... The tree wasn't anywhere near the back of the truck, but she did what dad said and got out of there when it cracked.

I have access to old aerial photos of this city, and I looked back at my property and that tree was big in the 50's so it was very old in the early 2000s. Felling it sure was a good memory with the kiddo.

Last edited:

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
I was just thinking about that tree. The electric company came through one winter and pollarded it so it would clear their lines. It didn't survive. My daughter was down on a visitation weekend and I commenced to cutting it down. It was calm when I started, but the breeze was picking up some after I got the pie cut and back cut going. I didn't want it falling in the street so I pulled Mean Green as far up in the driveway as I could so it would be clear of the felled tree. I got my come-along set up to the rear bumper, and got a chain hooked up to the tree. With the come-along up by the truck I told my daughter to slowly draw the come-along in one click at a time, but be when she heard the crack of the tree coming down, be ready to move. Since the tree was dry, it didn't do the normal crack................crack................crack....crack....crack....crash. It was more of a crack.....crack..crash. I was cutting more on the back cut when this happened, and I looked over to see where my daughter was, and she was nowhere to be seen. Kiddo!? Yeah, I heard her voice, and then she came out from the front of the truck. I started laughing, what the heck kiddo, you ran so dang fast you couldn't be seen. She literally got to the front of the truck in a split second...lol... She said, "You told me to get out of the way when it cracked, so I did." Yeah, but I have never seen you run that fast before...lol... The tree wasn't anywhere near the back of the truck, but she did what dad said and got out of there when it cracked.

I have access to old aerial photos of this city, and I looked back at my property and that tree was big in the 50's so it was very old in the early 2000s. Felling it sure was a good memory with the kiddo.

LOL...probably one of the only times she ever really listened you. I guess you should be happy she was just in front of the truck. If I would have said that to one my daughters that first crack they would have been inside eating pop corn watching TV. They would have come out in an hour or so to check to see if I was still alive...LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128