1976 vin number. How many digits is your vin?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Do you not have a title or registration for your truck?

In before "previous owner said the VIN tag was removed and he had no official title but it should be ok" (jk if not!)

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
Do you not have a title or registration for your truck?

no, no title needed for ‘96 and older in Maine. All old paperwork is gone for the truck

Ben

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
In before "previous owner said the VIN tag was removed and he had no official title but it should be ok" (jk if not!)

Really? I didn't see him say that in this post. That seems super sketchy to me. In Oregon the title follows the frame, so the VIN on the cab isn't really important except to verify whether it is the original equipment or possibly stolen. A vehicle that the guy selling it doesn't have a title and is just mysteriously missing the other 2 or three items in the cab that have the VIN on them is super suspicious and would have me passing on buying unless it was going to be trailered as an offroad only vehicle.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
no, no title needed for ‘96 and older in Maine. All old paperwork is gone for the truck

Ben
How do you even prove what year it is if you don't have a VIN or title for it? That's wild... how is theft not rampant up there? How do you register a vehicle with no VIN?

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Really? I didn't see him say that in this post. That seems super sketchy to me. In Oregon the title follows the frame, so the VIN on the cab isn't really important except to verify whether it is the original equipment or possibly stolen. A vehicle that the guy selling it doesn't have a title and is just mysteriously missing the other 2 or three items in the cab that have the VIN on them is super suspicious and would have me passing on buying unless it was going to be trailered as an offroad only vehicle.

No he didn't say it I'm just theorizing here - "in before..." means I am going to guess what the OP says next :)

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
How do you even prove what year it is if you don't have a VIN or title for it? That's wild... how is theft not rampant up there? How do you register a vehicle with no VIN?

you gotta read my first post again. I have found the vin on the frame but it’s a partial vin. With help, I’ve not been able to put together the complete vin that I need.

up here any vehicle older than 96 we don’t need a title. Not only do you not need a title, the state WILL NOT issue a title. Need a vin and proof of insurance and you can register it. As for the theft, I guess people still have morals up here. It isn’t an issue.

Ben

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
you gotta read my first post again. I have found the vin on the frame but it’s a partial vin. With help, I’ve not been able to put together the complete vin that I need.

up here any vehicle older than 96 we don’t need a title. Not only do you not need a title, the state WILL NOT issue a title. Need a vin and proof of insurance and you can register it. As for the theft, I guess people still have morals up here. It isn’t an issue.

Ben

You didn't find the VIN though, you found the partial VIN stamped on a component. I guess the missing piece is that they require you to have the VIN and a Bill of sale stating the VIN in order to register it. Basically the guy who sold it to you did so illegally if the bill of sale doesn't have that info on it. Do the plates follow the vehicle in Maine? Did the PO never have it registered or insured, because if he did, then you should have the VIN from previous registration right?

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
You didn't find the VIN though, you found the partial VIN stamped on a component. I guess the missing piece is that they require you to have the VIN and a Bill of sale stating the VIN in order to register it. Basically the guy who sold it to you did so illegally if the bill of sale doesn't have that info on it. Do the plates follow the vehicle in Maine? Did the PO never have it registered or insured, because if he did, then you should have the VIN from previous registration right?

plates don’t follow the vehicle in Maine. Guy I bought it from never registered it. It’s a project he never got to it.

moral of the story is yes, I got lazy while doing paperwork at the guys house and we didn’t complete the bill of sale. My bad for sure.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Itali83,

How does the bank make a loan for a vehicle with no title, no vin, no nothing? And yes I've been following this thread and I understand you when you say there's no title or vin in Maine,.....but Ben that's insane!! I have never heard of any state not requiring a title to a vehicle. So as long as you have a vin number and a bill of sale the truck is yours?? Dang!

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
@Itali83,

How does the bank make a loan for a vehicle with no title, no vin, no nothing? And yes I've been following this thread and I understand you when you say there's no title or vin in Maine,.....but Ben that's insane!! I have never heard of any state not requiring a title to a vehicle. So as long as you have a vin number and a bill of sale the truck is yours?? Dang!

1996 and newer you needs title. I’ve nerve bought something that’s older than that and needed financing. I’m not sure you’d be able to or it would even make sense to get an auto loan loan for something that old. Probably have to get a personal or recreational loan at that point. I’m pretty sure a bank would laugh at you if you asked for them to finance an old square body.

I’m telling you guys. Bill of sale and it’s yours. I’ve had bill of sales made up on napkins, sticky notes, whatever the seller can get his hands on at the time.

Ben.

59840Surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 Stroker to 383 with a 400 crank, Crane Cam, Q-Jet, single 3.5" exhaust..
Proof in documentation is on a per-state basis, according to it's laws and practices so there's not a lot of amazement there.

I once wrote a check on 3-ring notebook paper and my bank processed it ... this was in CA around 1963 or so.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
1996 and newer you needs title. I’ve nerve bought something that’s older than that and needed financing. I’m not sure you’d be able to or it would even make sense to get an auto loan loan for something that old. Probably have to get a personal or recreational loan at that point. I’m pretty sure a bank would laugh at you if you asked for them to finance an old square body.

I’m telling you guys. Bill of sale and it’s yours. I’ve had bill of sales made up on napkins, sticky notes, whatever the seller can get his hands on at the time.

Ben.

This is true, but in order for it to be a valid bill of sale it needs to have the sellers name, address, vehicles VIN number, and the date. If any of those are missing, it isn't a valid bill of sale. Buying one that the seller doesn't know the VIN number for, and you can't find it anywhere on the vehicle to even be able to tell, is a bit too much red flag for me.

The state of main provides a handy one page paper that you can print out to make sure you don't miss any important information of have an issue when you go to register it. If the seller can't or won't fill any of the information out, walk away. https://www.maine.gov/sos/bmv/registration/Motor Vehicle Bill of Sale.pdf

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
It's a long shot, but look in the seat springs for the build sheet.

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
Ok, so I thought I made an update but apparently not. I have the complete and correct vin for this truck. Just took a little research and help and I was able to get the complete VIN. No funny business, no swapping parts midnight auto style.

did I get a little lax with the bill of sale at time of sale? Yes, done it a million times and may get bit someday but up here, just the way it is. One of the few nice things about this state is registering a vehicle here. Is it how you guys do it? Don’t know or care. Thanks to the guys that have helped with the original post and question.

Ben

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanjohnson85