1976 vin number. How many digits is your vin?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I would look into having a replacement VIN tag made. It runs about $250-300 with the proper rivets. Not all styles are available but pretty sure they can make up until late 70's. It requires numerous pictures of the VIN, registration, and usually a title in owners name. Hopefully they didn't go out of business but the company that most have dealt with is "ag backeast"

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
I have a guy that can make me a vin plate that is correct enough for any One around here. Already in the plans so if I ever do get stopped for anything, there is at least a visible vin.

Ben

Grumpy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I spent some years at a GM dealer and on occasion had to verify VINs.
The frame will have stamping of the VIN, and may or may not be complete, it WILL have the Sequence (last six numbers) stamped.
The VIN plate will be on the Driver's-side on either the door jamb or the front corner of the dash. The exposed portion of the rivets may or may not be round or hex - if they are hex, the chances of authenticity are very high.
The engine pad will have the Sequence number on it as well as Alpha Numeric prefix.
The transmission, if original equipment will have the Sequence or last four of the Sequence on it - this also applies to the rear differential and not necessarily to the front if equipped.
There is also a Sequence number stamped under the cowling on most GM vehicles. You may not see it due to other welded panels obscuring the numbers.
Modern vehicles will have the entire Serial Number stamped all over the place - fenders, radiator support, cowls, floor pan, etc.. This as a result of gyppo body shops rebuilding vehicles without following proper repair procedures and of theft.

On your truck, aside from the Sequence Number, you can pretty much predict the first seven Alpha-Numeric Characters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kparris