1976 c20 Suburban 2WD to 4WD Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnGogo

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban Silverado Estate
Engine Size
7.4L 454ci
I'm new to this site and was hoping to get some info. I've got a 1976 Chevy C20 Suburban 454/400 with what I believe to be 1 ton equipment. I was wondering if it was possible to convert it to 4WD. If so, what kind of front axle, springs, transfer case,etc would I have to scour the Earth for to complete such a task? And what kind of difficulty (obviously difficult, but in terms of problems that may arise mid conversion) would we be talking about? Any and all info is appreciated, thanks!

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
C20 is 3/4 ton but the 14 bolt rear end is essentially the same as the 1-ton, pretty much. There are several people who said they wanted to take on a 2wd to 4wd conversion, and honestly we're still waiting for someone to do the write up. We could explain to you the basics but we dont have a step-by-step tutorial. If you want to make yours 1 ton you'll need to find a Dana 60 front. Otherwise a 10 bolt front with 8 lug outers was standard equipment on the 3/4 tons. Hey welcome to the forum by the way!
:welcome:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I'm new to this site and was hoping to get some info. I've got a 1976 Chevy C20 Suburban 454/400 with what I believe to be 1 ton equipment. I was wondering if it was possible to convert it to 4WD. If so, what kind of front axle, springs, transfer case,etc would I have to scour the Earth for to complete such a task? And what kind of difficulty (obviously difficult, but in terms of problems that may arise mid conversion) would we be talking about? Any and all info is appreciated, thanks!

Most 3/4 tone squares I have experienced have the same front axle as the 1/2 tons, with the exception of the 8 lug axles, and larger brakes.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Most decide it's cheaper and much less headache to just find a 4x4 Burb or 4x4 rolling chassis or even just the frame itself with front springs since everything else from your 2wd will transfer over. Even if it's a 1/2 ton 4x4 Burb, you can still swap 1 ton drivetrain into it along with 1 ton springs. Essentially it's then a 3/4 ton with 1 drivetrain if you have a Dana 60 up front since 1 ton frames are taller. 1/2 and 3/4 ton frames are the same dimensions with excpetion some will say the 3/4 ton is thicker frame material by a 1/16th. Not saying it can't be done. It's been done. Just lots and lots of work.

Not sure of the condition of your Burb, but maybe sell it and find you a 4x4 Burb. Last time I looked in my area, I seen some fairly nice, with very little to no rust 1/2 ton 4x4 Burbs for $1400 and $1500. Both were good running drivers with current registration according the ads and they looked good in pics.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Most 3/4 tone squares I have experienced have the same front axle as the 1/2 tons, with the exception of the 8 lug axles, and larger brakes.

ALL 1/2 and 3/4 ton 4x4's get the same front axles from the factory. Either Dana 44 pre 77 and Corp 10 bolt 78 and later 77/78 being transition years can be either one. Only difference is the 6 lug and 8 lug rotors. Brakes MIGHT or COULD be bigger on the 3/4 ton depending on the RPO and options on the truck. 1 tons were the only 4x4's that got the Dana 60.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I've done the frame swap with an '85 4WD and a '78 2WD.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've done the frame swap with an '85 4WD and a '78 2WD.

HUH??? So you're saying you took a 78 2wd Burb Body and put it on an 85 4wd Burb Frame? I never knew you did such a project. How did it turn out? Where are pics of this project??? :Sumo:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
HUH??? So you're saying you took a 78 2wd Burb Body and put it on an 85 4wd Burb Frame? I never knew you did such a project. How did it turn out? Where are pics of this project??? :Sumo:

Yes. I don't have pics of the entire project, this was my pre-documentation and pic taking days. Everything matched right up pretty much except I had to mod the hump for the t-case & shifter.

This is the finished truck here:

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2074&page=3

You must be registered for see images

JohnGogo

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
7.4L 454ci
I really appreciate the amount of replies! The reason I said that it had one ton equipment was because everyone I've talked to that had a similar C20 apparently had a smaller diff, brakes no where near the size, and nothing close to 9 leaf springs (the bottom one being an inch thick which I just love). As far as getting a 4x4 Burban, I've decided on doing a full restoration/performance rebuild to my particular car. It's the only "Spring Green" w/ woody paneling 76 C20 Burban apparently left on the planet (According to my insurance agent and appraiser) Plus the car has gotten our family through thick and thin for years so I figured I'd repay it with a full restoration. One thing I was thinking of was getting a 6spd Allison trans sometime in the future for the beast. If so, should I keep the original era diffs and transfer case or just get somethin new? I know I'm crazy for even thinkin about it but I'm pretty set on tackling this probably many year task. Once again, I appreciate all of the feedback!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
There's not a thing wrong with moving your current Burb boby to a 4x4 Burb chassis and it stay the same Burb. You'll need to get a bigger hump for the floor to make room for a Tcase, and you're rockin.

elstm3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
lynn
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30 crew cab dually
Engine Size
6.2 twin turbo diesel
Id vote for moving the body to a 4x4 frame if it is easy enough to find in your area. I would do the same for my crew cab but it is near impossible to find a 4x4 crew cab long box frame up here in montana for less than 2K.

JohnGogo

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
7.4L 454ci
I think there's actually a 74 Chevy C20 Pickup 4x4 in our town junkyard. It's like the only one I've found around and it's been sittin for quite awhile. Should I just wait for one that's in decent shape to pop up, or start lookin at the scrapyard Burban?
?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Do you have any emotional ties or sentimental value to your Burb? If not, selling yours and buying another might be an option. I haven't looked in a while but there was 2 nice 4wd Burbs here for $1500.

Oh yeah, the wood... Yeah, find you a 4x4 Burb Frame. You also have the Fo Fitty Fo that you want to keep too. For the frame horns to match yours, you'll want 73-80 frame. You can aslo use 81-91 Frame, you'd just have to use an 81-91 front bumper cuz the horns are different.

JohnGogo

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
7.4L 454ci
Alright, if a 4x4 pops up I'll definitely consider it. However, should I really even bother doin any of this if I plan on rebuilding it into a real high performance truck? If I got an HD Allison 6-spd that would probably throw everything off and the whole drivetrain would have to be redone. Should I maybe just wait until I have enough money to just get all new Heavy Duty parts i.e. Diffs, T-case, driveshafts, etc?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Without Doubt, you need to get a plan of either 2wd Hi Po or 4x4. You'll be running into drivetrain matching up problems and taking transmissions apart to make accomadations for Transfer Cases, then cutting drivelines blah blah blah, and that will get expensive. I'm the wrong guy to ask, cuz I'll say have 1 of each, at least one of each.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chad112507