1975 k10 bed mounting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nastardly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale, short box, stepside, part time NP205 conversion
Engine Size
I recently got a truck in a trade for my old jeep, this is my first square body and my first pickup. The bed sits crooked and jumps when I hit a bump, it appears as though the bed is only bolted in a few places. Do the beds on these tracks have any type of spacers or bushings? My bed seems to hit the saddle bag gas tank. Any help is appreciated, thanks for your time
-Dylan.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
We need pictures Dylan.
The answer is no to all of your questions though.
8 bolts total? (bed to frame)
They are visible in the bed. It should be obvious.

Any aligning adjustment will be slight, the holes in both frame and bed are fixed, so it's no going to be VERY FAR out of "alignment".

If it is, in fact, contacting the gas tank, that sounds like very,very, bad news and - not possible given original equipment?

If you need some anti-squeak bushing, I have used pieces of garden hose.

"go advanced" and mush the paperclip to add pics.

Pics or it didn't happen! :evillol:

Last edited:

Nastardly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Nastardly

My step side box that the PO swapped on sits lower at the passenger side by the tailgate, it also seems to hit the gas tank next to the frame on the passenger side. You probably can't tell from the picture, but I am able to grab underneath the step and lift it about 2-3 inches.

Attachments

• 20161227_095457.jpg
    20161227_095457.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 154
  • 20161227_095508.jpg
    20161227_095508.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 125
  • 20161227_095510.jpg
    20161227_095510.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 128

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Kinda need to get a good look at things on the underside. The bed has cross sills that tie the bedsides together and give the wood floor something to lay on. A couple of those sills (they are stamper steel) may be crushed/rusted or just plain missing.

Nastardly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Nastardly

I started to fool around in the cabinet and found that the previous owner had purchased the bed mounting hardware from LMC truck, they went as far as laying 4 bolts into the holes, they just never put washers or even nuts on their, so I did all that today with front most 2, and the second to rear most two, the second from the front had a weird pipe dead that went all the way through the frame and the very rear parts that were part of the box assembly, one was broken and bent, which was causing the passenger side to sag right at the tailgate. I will take pictures of the gas tank tomorrow morning, it looks as though the bed still touches it, but it no longer lifts and slams into it. I believe they swapped gas tanks when they switched from fleet side to step side and they may have mounted the fuel cell the high.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Cool.

Fleetside vs. Stepside is for sure a different gas tank. 15 vs. 18 gallons, someshit... the fleetside tank is way bigger. I bet you may have a shortbed tank. You might could find a member here that wants it! (just sayin) Does a stepside tank mount in the back like a Blazer? Somebody? Sounds good, but I don't think so.

Last edited:

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Cool.

Fleetside vs. Stepside is for sure a different gas tank. 15 vs. 18 gallons, someshit... the fleetside tank is way bigger. I bet you may have a shortbed tank. You might could find a member here that wants it! (just sayin) Does a stepside tank mount in the back like a Blazer? Somebody? Sounds good, but I don't think so.
Is 4X4 different???, my 80 stepside has the same tank as my fleetsides and mounted on the side????..

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Lol?
Longbeds have bigger tanks than shortbeds, right? Blazer and suburbans are different yet. I know know about differences between 2w and 4x but I bet we're gonna find out! I sure as heck don't know anything about stepsides...Much less converting them!
@bucket hay smart guy, set us straight.

Last edited:

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yeah, long beds came with 20 or 16gal tanks and burbs were in the back, only difference in the stepside is the gas door it takes different hoses, at least that's the way it is on my 80 but I have no idea about 4X's..

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Stepsides use the same tanks as a fleetside truck. 2wd or 4x4. The step on a stepside does sit pretty darn close to the fuel tank, but it shouldn't be touching.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I knew Bucket would set it straight!

But wait. Is a shortbed tank the same as the stepside tank? Chances are Dylan doesn't have a longbed stepside...

Moar picsss!

I don't have any idea, my ******* only has two squares. :(

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Is a shortbed tank the same as the stepside tank? (
The shortbed stepside tank is the same as the shortbed fleetside, don't know about the longbed stepside though..

Nastardly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Sorry to for the lack of response, I had to do military stuff for a while. I remounted the bed a whole lot better than before, but the ass end sags a little lower on the passenger side, there seems to be some sort of "A" shaped deal welded under the tailgate on the inside that sits on the frame, but one side is busted off. Is there any where I can buy that part?
Pics to come.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man