1974 K10 short bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dan Brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
355 (.030 over 350)
I am restoring a 1974 K10 that I bought new in 1974. I gave it to my grandson several years ago, so I need to get it back together and running before he turns 16 in 4 years. It's got a .030 over 350 that I am putting a Throttle Body Injection system on from a 1995 Chevy Pickup. The drive train is what it came with, Muncie SM465, NP205 T case, 12 bolt Gov. Lock rear end with 3:73 gears, and a Dana 44 in front. I am new at posting like this and would like to put some pictures on one of my blogs. I have two pieces, mirror image that I've forgotten what they are and where they go. Could somebody please tell me how to put pictures on the site to see if somebody can tell me what they are. Thx a lot.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I am restoring a 1974 K10 that I bought new in 1974. I gave it to my grandson several years ago, so I need to get it back together and running before he turns 16 in 4 years. It's got a .030 over 350 that I am putting a Throttle Body Injection system on from a 1995 Chevy Pickup. The drive train is what it came with, Muncie SM465, NP205 T case, 12 bolt Gov. Lock rear end with 3:73 gears, and a Dana 44 in front. I am new at posting like this and would like to put some pictures on one of my blogs. I have two pieces, mirror image that I've forgotten what they are and where they go. Could somebody please tell me how to put pictures on the site to see if somebody can tell me what they are. Thx a lot.
At he bottom there is a button that says upload a file. Touch or click it.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Sounds like a tough, foolproof setup if the TBI's working right. Not saying you're a fool, more of a compliment to the truck itself. Welcome to the forum.

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome aboard

Dan Brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
355 (.030 over 350)
If any body can see these pictures, can you please tell me what they are. They are off a 1974 K10.

Dan Brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
355 (.030 over 350)
I just finished a TBI conversion on my 78 K15. I'd be happy to share learnings (and what I'd do differently) if you like.
Matt, I would like to hear what you would do differently. So far, as mines not running yet, here's what I did. Instead of paying Painless Wiring, or some other harness manufacturer, 3 or 4 hundred bucks of a harness, I built my own. I bought a reconditioned ECU from EBAY, got the connectors from a junk yard, and attached the wires to it. I researched lots of sites and found all the schematics I could to do this. Since I have a manual trans., I won't need all the wires for an electronic transmission. How did you do yours, and if you already have it running, is running okay. I hope to have mine running in a few months, and would like to get your input as to what you learned and would do different next time, as I hope to build an old CJ5, with a SBC and might do the same thing with it. Thx a lot for any input on what you leaned,

MtBraun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Matt, I would like to hear what you would do differently. So far, as mines not running yet, here's what I did. Instead of paying Painless Wiring, or some other harness manufacturer, 3 or 4 hundred bucks of a harness, I built my own. I bought a reconditioned ECU from EBAY, got the connectors from a junk yard, and attached the wires to it. I researched lots of sites and found all the schematics I could to do this. Since I have a manual trans., I won't need all the wires for an electronic transmission. How did you do yours, and if you already have it running, is running okay. I hope to have mine running in a few months, and would like to get your input as to what you learned and would do different next time, as I hope to build an old CJ5, with a SBC and might do the same thing with it. Thx a lot for any input on what you leaned,

I approached my project with a similar mindset. I wanted to do the conversion with my 16 year old son using as much U-pull parts. Our donor vehicle was a 1991 Chevy 1500. Our truck is a 78k15 with Gen 1 SBC and TH350. I leaned heavily on gearheadefi.com for conversion threads and schematics. There's some great guys over there and I highly encourage you to check them out if you haven't already. We salvaged the complete wiring harness, TBI, ECM, distributor, and many of the sensors required for the conversion for $120. I thought we were off to a great start.

I had many hours in cleaning up the old harness and eliminating un-needed wires. Since it was my first time I went very slowly and double/triple checked everything. My first mistake was when buying the check engine dummy light I didn't notice that it was a flashing light. Be sure to get a solid pulse light, not a flashing light. Seems simple enough, but I got caught on it. So after my initial install and fire up I got this pulsing CEL when key on, that would subsequently turn off when the engine started. The engine didn't run particularly well and had a bad stumble on acceleration. So I took that to mean the ECM went into limp mode. Long story short, I assumed I had an ECM or harness problem and out of frustration bought another ECM and ordered a complete harness from AFI. The AFI harness came with a check engine light, and it was at this point I realized my mistake. Changed the CEL out and whalaa, no blinking CEL. We got everything buttoned up and timing set correctly and it runs great.

If I had to do it over again, I would have bought the AFI harness (about $275) from the get go and salvaged the rest of the parts, making this conversion easily under $500. It was a fun challenge to do it myself, but you can't beat the pre-made harnesses for fit, finish, and functionality. My time in salvaging and dissecting a stock harness is definitely worth the money spent on an AFI harness. The harness also includes excellent written instructions. Plus, their service is excellent!

Also, Dave W over at gearhead is really great at tuning chips if you don't want to data log and burn your own chips. For me, this is a simple stock conversion that won't have any need for chip modifications and so I went with a third party tuned chip (and eliminated emissions crap at the same time)

The other thing I would recommend is make sure your base mechanical timing is as close as possible when dropping in the new dizzy. Somehow mine was off quite a bit and it made for another challenge trying to diagnose the initial startup.

Also, I'm not sure what you did for your fuel tank/pump, but ours was shot so I just upgraded the tank to an 87 square body tank with the stock pump/sending unit, as this tank has baffles and the pump correct pressure for TBI.

good luck, hope your project goes well!

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:welcome:

Dan Brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
355 (.030 over 350)
Thx Matt for the info. If I do it again, I'll still build my own harness, as I enjoy doing wiring stuff. AFI Harness has a neat site, though. As for my fuel tank/pump situation, I was able to salvage the original two 16 gallon tanks, and used an Eastwood tank restorer kit on them. I was going to use an inline pump mounted on the frame, but had read that in the tank pumps are better, as the pump gets cooled by the gas in the tank, so I took two new pick up/sender units and spliced a pump into each one. Now when you switch tanks I'll wire it so you also switch pumps.

If you can see the bracket pictures when you scroll up, do you know what they are for. It's been so long since I took them off, and I can't find anything in my manuals on them, I've forgotten what they are. Thx for any help.

MtBraun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Those parts don't look familiar, but I'm a newbie.

Someday I hope to add the second tank to our setup.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
This may be a stupid question, but I see quite a few of you do a TBI swap, what is the benefit? Better mileage? Performance?

I have a 88 3/4 ton that I am going to be junking (rust bucket, bad tranny, low oil pressure, among other problems), would the TBI off that be worth swapping to my 78?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jturner