1972 Blue Bird RV brake job

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
The ground has finally dried up enough to get back on my RV project. We had it towed home last September, already replaced power steering hoses, brake shoes all the way around wheel cylinders too (2) per wheel. All that’s left is to put the rubber hoses from the hard lines to the wheel cylinders, I rung one off and need to replace that line and the bleed them down and it back in service. This RV is setting on a Ford 7000 chassis with a 391 and a 5 speed Allison trans. Quite a project messed up my knee yesterday wrestling with getting the wheels back on the rear. This has (2) brake boosters and (1) master cylinder that splits the system up to supposedly have a back up, the RV is built on the same chassis that the school buses were built on. I’ll see if I can find some pictures if anyone wants to see it.

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size

Last edited:

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I’m having trouble with the pictures but maybe I can get some more later

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Looking forward to more pictures of this beast. Medium duty truck brakes of the 70's and 80's were often weird by today's standards, huh?

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Yes I had no idea what was required to get this job done, hope to be bleeding the brakes today, gonna try to use a manual vacuum pump to get the air out. The next challenge is getting this thing out of the driveway. I’m so thankful I have friends with big sockets!!!!:grd:

Last edited:

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size

A shot of the dining area

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
H

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Not working as planned, the rubber hoses screw into the steel lines are like welded together. I have been working on the drivers side front wheel all day, looks like I’m gonna have to cut them off and change them all out. Half the day jacking the bus back up to get the wheels back on it. There are as I may have said in a previous post 2 brake lines to each wheel one of each goes to a “T” and the other to a terminal with 4 fittings that goes to the 2 power boosters that have 1 1/2 vacuum hoses coming from the pump up front. I also noticed the complete motor and transmission are forward of the front axel, which is why I put the wheels back on it. I will be jacking the RV up and supporting it under the frame around the center of the engine, and getting it up high enough to hopefully set under the bus and work on it. I will be shopping for a set of jack stands,if I can’t borrow a set from a friend who works on bull dozers and track hoes etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shake1969