14 Bolt Full Float / Semi Float Identification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Looks like a 12 bolt from here.
Yes I somehow thought it had 6 lugs. I think being a wagon wheel I associated it with my 78 which has wagon wheels and 6 lugs and memory meshed them. I did go snd confirm it was a 5x5.5(presumably?) so I know the axle is not anything desirable lol.

Dano500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I was hoping, you know, due to the green paint that this was a 1 ton from an army truck. lol

Attachments

• B4019970-D571-4CF5-82D4-14A100A4C262.jpeg
    B4019970-D571-4CF5-82D4-14A100A4C262.jpeg
    232.1 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I was hoping, you know, due to the green paint that this was a 1 ton from an army truck.

Is this a more recent picture? If so, those hollow aluminum blocks and incorrect type u-bolts still really need to go :)

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Is this a more recent picture? If so, those hollow aluminum blocks and incorrect type u-bolts still really need to go :)
Yeah they do!

Dano500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You’re paying attention to the wrong part of the pic, man. Lol Guys on here love to talk smack. Reminds me of the good ole’ days.
You’d sh*t yourself if you saw pics of front suspension. Lol

This is a pic from when I first bought it about six months ago, I think. So, I looked it up this time and last time. I’m assuming you mean u-bolts are supposed to be pointed down? All the pics I ‘research’ on internet show then pointing up like mine, so I don’t get it. Lol

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
You’re paying attention to the wrong part of the pic, man. Lol Guys on here love to talk smack. Reminds me of the good ole’ days.
You’d sh*t yourself if you saw pics of front suspension. Lol

This is a pic from when I first bought it about six months ago, I think. So, I looked it up this time and last time. I’m assuming you mean u-bolts are supposed to be pointed down? All the pics I ‘research’ on internet show then pointing up like mine, so I don’t get it. Lol
I doubt he's talking smack. The u-bolts in the pic are wrong shape.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
They are not talking smack. Your axle is not assembled correctly. Square top U bolts need a saddle. Early 3/4 an 1 ton squares had saddles. With the U bolts pointing up the U bolts should be round to match the axle.

The saddles are cast to match the axle diameter. All larger truck axles are mounted with saddles top and bottom. Some systems point up, some down. It looks like your truck was assembled without the saddles in, to give more length so the blocks fit in.

You must be registered for see images attach

Dano500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
They are not talking smack. Your axle is not assembled correctly. Square top U bolts need a saddle. Early 3/4 an 1 ton squares had saddles. With the U bolts pointing up the U bolts should be round to match the axle.

The saddles are cast to match the axle diameter. All larger truck axles are mounted with saddles top and bottom. Some systems point up, some down. It looks like your truck was assembled without the saddles in, to give more length so the blocks fit in.

You must be registered for see images attach
I see, it was funny though. Maybe it’s a flip kit? Or, something that came with blocks? Idk

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
They are CLEARLY NOT round on the bottom to conform to the axle tube!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
@idahovette Guess I should have looked closer. :banghead:

Lol, no not smack talking. You posted the picture and then I remembered seeing you post the same picture a while back. I thought the low quality blocks (I'm not opposed to blocks at all, just those super cheap ones on a heavy truck) and incorrect u-bolts were pointed out then. I didn't want to hassle you about that safety issue if it's already been corrected.

But since it doesn't seem like it has been corrected, here's why it's a safety issue. Those square ended u-bolts are not designed to be used in that manner. The u-bolts needed for the current install need to have round ends to fit the axle tube. As it is now, they cannot properly retain and locate the axle housing to the springs because they can't maintain the the needed torque. There's the possibility that those u-bolts could break, either at the corners where the fastener torque is trying to straighten out those corners, or in the center of the flat area where all the force is being applied at the axle tube. There's also the possibility that those u-bolts will let the aluminum block shift around, crack, break and then the whole deal comes apart. It can also put stress on the spring center pins that they are not designed to see, causing them to break, which in turn causes the blocks to move around, crack, break... and the same end result.

At any rate, it's not guaranteed that they will fail, but there's a definite good chance. And it's never a good scenario when the rear axle of the truck goes all cattywampus as you are driving down the road.

Dano500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Lol, no not smack talking. You posted the picture and then I remembered seeing you post the same picture a while back. I thought the low quality blocks (I'm not opposed to blocks at all, just those super cheap ones on a heavy truck) and incorrect u-bolts were pointed out then. I didn't want to hassle you about that safety issue if it's already been corrected.

But since it doesn't seem like it has been corrected, here's why it's a safety issue. Those square ended u-bolts are not designed to be used in that manner. The u-bolts needed for the current install need to have round ends to fit the axle tube. As it is now, they cannot properly retain and locate the axle housing to the springs because they can't maintain the the needed torque. There's the possibility that those u-bolts could break, either at the corners where the fastener torque is trying to straighten out those corners, or in the center of the flat area where all the force is being applied at the axle tube. There's also the possibility that those u-bolts will let the aluminum block shift around, crack, break and then the whole deal comes apart. It can also put stress on the spring center pins that they are not designed to see, causing them to break, which in turn causes the blocks to move around, crack, break... and the same end result.

At any rate, it's not guaranteed that they will fail, but there's a definite good chance. And it's never a good scenario when the rear axle of the truck goes all cattywampus as you are driving down the road.
haha Thanks for looking out. It isn't being driven as of yet, so I will put those items on the list. I think I can find them at LMC.