14 bolt 6 lug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yes, just best to go with the 4x4 axle and have the right diminsions. I'd think one other option could be, jus get the axles and the axles only since they are supposed tobe the right length, put them into a Square 3/4 ton 8 lug axle, but instead of transferring all the brakes and retrofitting the backing plate, just do the axles, and then get a Disk brake convesion kit and use the kit for the caliper mounting and all that. But, the only way I'd do that is if I had E brake calipers. I don't like being wo E brake.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've seen a write up on another forum where someone put the 6 lug shafts in a squarebody 8 lug housing. The lengths aren't the same. The bearings and seals ride on the shaft in a questionable area from what I remember. And since the shafts are a different length, disc brake brackets for the axle won't work, not to mention finding rotors to work with 6 lugs.

I don't know squat about what disc brake brackets are available if it's not a 14FF. I do know what parts to use for a cobbled 6-lug disc setup, but that's only for the 10 and 12 bolt 1/2 ton axle.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I know a company could have a good selling product if they made aftermarket axles and drums for 6 lug using the same brakes and fitting Squarebody 14b SF axles. I'm sure if the 6 lug axles were to long, some axle shop or manufacture could cut them down and respline them to fit perfect. Chances are, there is already a brake drum that fits. Just a matter of finding out what it fits. But I sure wish someone would make an Axle Brake Drum Conversion Kit. They'd sure make some cash with a very marketable product for the 4 wheelers. And while they're are it, they may as well make it a C clip eliminatioon kit all in one. That's about the only downfall to a 14b SF is the C clip. And that's really not all that bad.

philjafo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 scottsdale
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205/d44/corp14
Just curious, Why go to all the work of putting a 14bsf in when 14 bff's are so much easier? Its a straight bolt in, no moving spring perches or any of that stuff. If its only to keep the six lug pattern to macth the front just get the matching axel from the front. Up in salted road country there are countless squares that are full of great driveline parts and rusted out bodys to be had for dirt cheap.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Semi Floats are no harder to install than Full Floats either. BUT, if you want to keep 6 lug so you can keep your half ton wheels and not convert your fronts to 8 lugs, then your option is a 6 Lug SF for an upgrade off the 10bolt.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Right, I don't want an 8 lug Blazer. I want a 6 lug Blazer that doesn't appear to be too far off from stock.

Besides, it took me maybe an hour to relocate the perches.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Right, I don't want an 8 lug Blazer. I want a 6 lug Blazer that doesn't appear to be too far off from stock.

Besides, it took me maybe an hour to relocate the perches.

Same here. I will convert one of mine to 8 lugs and have all intention too since I hope to have a D60 front someday, but the other one, I just want to keep 6 lug but want away from the weaker rear end. I think I've said already, I have 2 14b SF and want to put them to use.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I just think of my Blazer as a street bound hot rod. It won't see any more than a bumpy dirt/gravel road and I just need a rear axle that I won't kill with the big block. The only reason it's getting a small lift is because I don't want to trim the NOS fenders at all, nothing to do with better capability off road. My 6 lug hurricane wheels aren't going anywhere, they are how I ended up with the thing to begin with.

philjafo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 scottsdale
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205/d44/corp14
I see, the whole point is a stronger axle that still looks stock on the outside. Is the semi-floating axle as strong as the full-floater? Identical except for the hubs and having c-clips?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
No, the 14ff is much stronger. Besides the hubs, the ring gear is bigger, axles thicker, thicker axle tubes, more pinion support, stronger carrier, and bigger brakes too. The 14sf is still much stronger than a 10 or 12 bolt axle though.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I see, the whole point is a stronger axle that still looks stock on the outside. Is the semi-floating axle as strong as the full-floater? Identical except for the hubs and having c-clips?

No, the 14ff is much stronger. Besides the hubs, the ring gear is bigger, axles thicker, thicker axle tubes, more pinion support, stronger carrier, and bigger brakes too. The 14sf is still much stronger than a 10 or 12 bolt axle though.

Exactly what Bucket Said. The 14b Full Float is the king of Light Duty Truck rear axles. Dana 60 and 70 do give it a run for it's money though. They too are good.

The Semi Float is a great alternative and upgrade over the 10 and 12 bolts and is the about the strongest 6 lug option you'll have available. GM Truck Drag Racers also like the 14 Semi Float for very high performance Street/Strip trucks running Turbos, NOS etc. They are also available in a 5 lug axle rare as they be, like in the GMT400 454 SS model trucks.

In short, if you want 3/4 and 1 ton drivetrain in 8 lug, go with 14b Full Float, If you want 1/2 ton axles in 5 or 6 lug go with 14b Semi Float.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tweeter68