08 Cobalt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ebodell08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Not trying to create drama here. I buy both online and at the local NAPA. We try and give them as much business as we can. The counter guys know their stuff and can find parts for the tractors, grain truck and personal vehicles. We pay a more at times, but, when you are down on Sunday we can call the guy and he will open up for us.
There is an O'Reilleys in town, we don't go there. The FIL (and most the local farmers) have a relationship with NAPA.
Again, only my $0.02 worth. I live in a small town and try and keep at least some money local. I can see both sides of this one.
Y'all have a great weekend and the most important thing to remember is to wake up on the right side of the dirt, the rest is small stuff.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
I have no real vendetta against any major parts suppliers. At the end of the day many OEM, "name brand", and "house brand" components are likely coming from the same sweat shops with a few exceptions.

I'll gladly help out out the local places, especially the smaller ones when I can, though the more expensive niche items like certain AC compressors have become internet only items for me.

Its also worth noting the internet has helped a lot of smaller shops get big. There's only a few smaller shops in the country that can build a Q jet or a Saginaw steering box that's trustworthy enough to use. Thanks to the internet I can get in contact with these shops.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Understand brick and mortar stores have higher overhead but that's not my problem.

For the most part I don't buy auto parts from Amazon. The descriptions aren't complete such as a R or L self-adjuster kit. Amazon did have a John Deere lawn tractor drive belt available nowhere else. Rock Auto has been a decent option for my personal vehicles. Only received one incorrect item [radiator]. They took it back and refunded all costs.

There could be counterfeit parts. Don't think I ever received any, are you sure local parts stores aren't selling some of it,..... me neither. Boxes are marked from all over the world.

Some local parts stores are going to be culled. There will always be a need for a few. Businesses can't operate on 3–5-day delivery times so that market will remain. They will lose some backyard repair sales, times change.

Albrigap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I try and shop local but when it's a difference of 50% I end up going online.

I prefer Rockauto over Amazon. They have good prices, fair shipping charges, and they usually have a choice of 4-5 different brands. I've had some bad luck with Amazon parts not being quite what they advertise. It may have a Dorman part number, but it may not be a Dorman part.

Sometimes I order heavy parts from Summit as they have free shipping and it can be cheaper with parts like axles, drums, etc.
Dorman has turned into a Chineseum graveyard too.
They are using cheap overseas parts instead of the quality known for years ago.
If Dorman makes it, there was a problem with the original but they are no longer the fix they used to be.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iiixtremeiii