Intake Manifold Gasket R & R

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'll pay somebody to pull the heads before I do it, phuk that ****. That's too much for me to knock out in one day by myself. I'm still recovering from the manifold thing. That hanging in the engine compartment ******** is not for me. If one of yins lived close and gave me a hand I might go for it. I'll do the comp test when I get the time and I will post the report and see what ya's think I should do. And I am gonna call my mech tomorrow for a quote on doing the head gaskets. He usually takes care of me with repairs I can't do. After all, he gets all my truck business thru me beings as I am the dispatcher so he hooks me up. :evillol:

@ Old, I don't want to get rid of her, I am just overwhelmed right now and got to take a break and clear my mind brotha. :High 5:

Beleive it or not. Once you got the intake off, other then exhaust manifolds and you can plan on breaking about 25% of those bolts, you're home free on the heads. But, now you come to other crossroads at this point? How many miles are on this motor??? Some minor head work and new head gaskets could possibly raise the compression ratio just enough the tired rings say to hell with it. Then again, composition head gaskets are usually thicker and head gaskets alone likely won't raise the compression ratio. How many miles you got on this thing???

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Almost 180,000 miles. This is the one of the most reliable vehicles I ever owned. I mean, for 800 bucks two years ago, I can't complain. Starts and runs every day. Ran it for one year without dropping a dime in it. Inspection time last Feb put 2 new tires, and all the brakes on and inspection cost me about $500.

Then ran til last summer when the fuel pump took a ****. That was around 300 bucks with the tow. Then this winter I started attacking the rust in the back, spent about $220 on body panels. So so far it's around a thousand bucks in repairs over 2 years. Not including getting this head gasket issue fixed, which I am sure between that and the inspection will probably be around another $1000 bucks.

So figure $2000 bucks over 24 months, that's $83 a month plus 50 bucks a month for insurance. Beats a new or used car payment any day. If I get the head leak fixed and get the truck inspected I will be a very happy camper if I can run the truck to next February without any problems. Hopefully I am not putting a hex on myself saying that, lol.

I mean it's a tight truck, goes down the road well and rides good. Paint is decent, truck looks good. Inerior is decent, I can't see getting rid of it. The tranny feels brand new, hasn't skipped a beat in 2 years of towing a boat and city driving. That money and time I am putting into the rust repair in the back isn't 100 percent perfect, but it makes a huge difference in slowing down the death of the truck, ya know?

Just rambling, sorry.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I know my opinion doesn't really matter much but I'm with ya on getting the head gasket leak fixed and continuing on with it. You're right, for $800 it's definitely served you well and you went quite a while before having to put anything into it and you're still way ahead of the game. Issues like the ones you've experienced lately always seem to come in bunches. Once you get the head gasket leak fixed I'm sure you'll be able to continue on down the road and probably won't have another major issue for quite a while. :High 5:

Just trying to encourage you but I think you've got the right mind set. Considering it's 22 year old vehicle I'd say stuff like this pretty much comes with the territory.

:handshake:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I know my opinion doesn't really matter much but I'm with ya on getting the head gasket leak fixed and continuing on with it. You're right, for $800 it's definitely served you well and you went quite a while before having to put anything into it and you're still way ahead of the game. Issues like the ones you've experienced lately always seem to come in bunches. Once you get the head gasket leak fixed I'm sure you'll be able to continue on down the road and probably won't have another major issue for quite a while. :High 5:

Just trying to encourage you but I think you've got the right mind set. Considering it's 22 year old vehicle I'd say stuff like this pretty much comes with the territory.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Almost 180,000 miles. This is the one of the most reliable vehicles I ever owned. I mean, for 800 bucks two years ago, I can't complain. Starts and runs every day. Ran it for one year without dropping a dime in it. Inspection time last Feb put 2 new tires, and all the brakes on and inspection cost me about $500.

Then ran til last summer when the fuel pump took a ****. That was around 300 bucks with the tow. Then this winter I started attacking the rust in the back, spent about $220 on body panels. So so far it's around a thousand bucks in repairs over 2 years. Not including getting this head gasket issue fixed, which I am sure between that and the inspection will probably be around another $1000 bucks.

So figure $2000 bucks over 24 months, that's $83 a month plus 50 bucks a month for insurance. Beats a new or used car payment any day. If I get the head leak fixed and get the truck inspected I will be a very happy camper if I can run the truck to next February without any problems. Hopefully I am not putting a hex on myself saying that, lol.

I mean it's a tight truck, goes down the road well and rides good. Paint is decent, truck looks good. Inerior is decent, I can't see getting rid of it. The tranny feels brand new, hasn't skipped a beat in 2 years of towing a boat and city driving. That money and time I am putting into the rust repair in the back isn't 100 percent perfect, but it makes a huge difference in slowing down the death of the truck, ya know?

Just rambling, sorry.

I'd say you're getting your money's worth out of it for sure. Yours is a fo buh fo too isn't it?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I'd say you're getting your money's worth out of it for sure. Yours is a fo buh fo too isn't it?
Yes sir, and it works flawlessly. :High 5:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
:hmm: I think 89Sub needs a big block in dat 89!! :D

Booshit !!! That 350 has enough power to do what he wants. All a 454 will do is cost him more in gas. I am not as impressed with my 454 as many might think I should be. Its got torque, but otherwise is a sled that uses lots of gas. Having 3.21 ***** gears might have something to do with that, but big blocks don't like high rpm either, so I'll keep it is for now unless I decide to go with a 700r4 or a 200-4r, then I'd lower it to 4.10 gears.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Booshit !!! That 350 has enough power to do what he wants. All a 454 will do is cost him more in gas. I am not as impressed with my 454 as many might think I should be. Its got torque, but otherwise is a sled that uses lots of gas. Having 3.21 ***** gears might have something to do with that, but big blocks don't like high rpm either, so I'll keep it is for now unless I decide to go with a 700r4 or a 200-4r, then I'd lower it to 4.10 gears.

:slap: Just throwing ideas for your "engine replacement" worst case scenario idea and still being ahead!! :Moon:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus