emission removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
LOl I know what you mean, almost everyone of the hei's I do I have to pull and drop it back more to give room to turn alot for adjustment.

Never knew that about the big cam though man good info.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
LOl I know what you mean, almost everyone of the hei's I do I have to pull and drop it back more to give room to turn alot for adjustment.

Never knew that about the big cam though man good info.

What I mean by big cam, is one with a lot of valve overlap and heavy lope to it. If its lopping heavy, that is caused by lots of valve overlap so you rarely have vacuum anyway. And of course when you romp on it, there is no vacuum to be had, so the vac advance it about useless and doesn't function. Now for a mild cam or RV cam, you still benefit from vac advance.

Ingram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
thanks for the help. veeeerrrrryyyyy helpful. going to fix right now

mrpulver

Reaction score
First Name
marc
Truck Year
88 chevy dually long box crew cab
Truck Model
dually
Engine Size
hello swims350
Iam new to this forum and right up I have question..
I have a 88 chevy dually crew cap long box (squarebox), 2 wheel drive truck from arizona with a 454tbi, th 400 and all the emission system on there.
So, up here in Alberta I do not need all this stuff.
Question now is: Can I take it all out just as on the truck of `ingram` or will I have trouble with all the sensors and the computer..?

Thanks in advance

f1shman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
hello swims350
Iam new to this forum and right up I have question..
I have a 88 chevy dually crew cap long box (squarebox), 2 wheel drive truck from arizona with a 454tbi, th 400 and all the emission system on there.
So, up here in Alberta I do not need all this stuff.
Question now is: Can I take it all out just as on the truck of `ingram` or will I have trouble with all the sensors and the computer..?

Thanks in advance

Since your engine is computer controlled, you will not be able to remove all of the emissions equipment without having the check engine light come on when you drive it.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
only thing on the emissions that effects the computer is the egr valve, all it does is throw the egr failure or not sensing egr code, that's it.

My 88 gmt400 has no cats, has headers, has the o2 sensor, knock sensor, iac, tps, cts, all the stock ones, but I removed the egr, and the smog pump and lines. I also removed the charcoal can and it's line.

Last edited:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
You wont notice any difference by removing that stuff...if it runs good, leave it alone.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
mines much better without it. I had a bad egr and not to mention how much it cleans things up underhood. I can live with my light.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You wont notice any difference by removing that stuff...if it runs good, leave it alone.

I'lll agree with that Jim. If it runs good, leave it. As Swims says, he took his off because he had a defective emisisons part. My biggest issue with emmsion parts is the fact they seem to be in the way while working on it. Otherwise emmisions don't rob near the hp or mpg that people think.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
well you do save weight too lol. If you have smog pump you free up a tad bit of drag on the engine. yea I'm sure it doesn't add up to even 1 hp LOl but for me defective egr and a whole lot cleaner=well worth it to me.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
maybe 20lbs for the emissions, and its actually 2hp for a AIR pump. Yeah, a defective and unmaintained EGR valve can sure cause problems in mpg and idling smooth. Also can cause a little carbon issue if you don't keep the vavle clean. I'd like to pull mine and clean it about once a year. Doesn't take loong but most people just don't do it, but it sure keeps the valve in good shape.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
wow 2hp that's double what I thought and yea it is about 20 lbs. unless you count maniolfds in with that and put on headers lol.

that's what happened to mine got stuck open, cleaning wouldn't help it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yeah, they can get carbon gunked and then can't close back off. That is most common. Clean the carbon off they'll close again. But, if the Pintle gets rusty, or bends a bit, then it can't close and that is not repairable. The other thing that can go wrong is get a hole in the vac bellow and then you have a vac leak and the EGR doesn't open at all anyway. That is about the only 3 ways an EGR can fail.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yep think mine had all 3, it wouldn't hold vac. it also wouldn't shut. Cleaning never helped it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man