Zero Rate for 1" added in rear?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vetteman61

Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I just put 3" EZ ride lift springs front and rear on my '87 k5, and I feel the rear is sitting a little bit lower than the front. I've heard I could add a zero rate to the rear to pick it up an inch, but I don't exactly understand how that works.

Is it basically just a small block that mounts under the springs? How does it mount and where do you get them?

Thanks,

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Off road design sells a set of them. I believe they call them their zero rate add a leaf or block. It's not like a lift block, it's like adding an extra leaf to the pack, but it's a block not a spring, so it doesn't change suspension characteristics.

Basically it's a 1 inch block that bolts in like a leaf spring to the pack. The kit comes with the blocks and new center bolts I believe. It also has options for adjusting the axle location slightly, for things like shackle flip kits. But you won't need that if just doing a spring lift, it'll come with directions.

All you do is undo your spring packs center bolt, install block and new center pin and hardware in correct position, and retighten center bolt and make sure everything goes together square, as well as in correct orientation, and reassemble the rest of the components as normal.

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
https://www.offroaddesign.com/1-zero-rate-add-a-leaf-kit-2-1-2-wide.html

Off Road Design is correct. Just ordered a set for my truck, there are two versions available- one for 2 1/2" wide springs and one for 3" wide springs. Measure before you order but i'm pretty confident most of our trucks are 2 1/2" wide springs. I originally ordered new u bolts and leaf spring center bolts as mine are broke and need replaced, but then figured if I was going to have it apart that far I might as well add just a touch more height to the ass end of the truck as it sits level right now and figured this was the best option to accomplish that. They come with new center bolts for the leaf spring pack as they bolt directly to it. Unlike a conventional style lift block that does not.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I been looking at this lately as well. Do it and document the process with lots of pics.

Last edited:

Vetteman61

Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
OK, thanks guys. I checked the Tuff Country website and don't see that they offer any (maybe they do and I just haven't found it). I thought surely they would have a set. Is it common with lift springs that the rear would sit lower? I realize the fenderwells aren't equal and can cause the illusion of the rear sitting lower, but I'm almost positive the rear is truly lower than the front.

Thanks

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
OK, thanks guys. I checked the Tuff Country website and don't see that they offer any (maybe they do and I just haven't found it). I thought surely they would have a set. Is it common with lift springs that the rear would sit lower? I realize the fenderwells aren't equal and can cause the illusion of the rear sitting lower, but I'm almost positive the rear is truly lower than the front.

Thanks
Off-road design has a good kit. On suburbans I would say it wouldn't be a surprise for the rear to be lower, but most lift kits the front ends up being taller.

I like to measure from the body line right in the middle of the body. It's easier with a no trim truck, but will still work with trim.

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI

Thanks
Yes this is common in k5s and suburbans. I have the same lift kit you do on my 82 k5. I thought about the zero rate but the u bolts would be too short. I instead used 1/2 flat bar from a local supplier and new leaf spring center bolts. Maybe $20 in materials and didn't have to wait for shipping.
It could be a touch higher still but when I install my 14b axle with new perches it should gain the additional.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes