WTF is going on......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uprdn84

Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I got a serious problem..I got an 84 lwb c10.I've changed battery starter and ignition switch. it still won't start. When i turn the key on all the lights gauges and all come on. but when i push the key forward..... nothing. it was running fine then nothing. any help would work. thanks.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I'd be checking the neutral start switch. Try starting it in Neutral.

uprdn84

Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Just tried starting it in neutral...... nothing. do these trucks have starter relays?

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
bad or loose battery cable? come loose at the starter? fuse? hammer to the starter?

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
It's also possible you got a bad starter solenoid with the starter.

uprdn84

Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Had starter tested twice at oreilys. passed. no the brake light does not come on. It ran fine then it stopped. never started again. my only wheels and I'm getting desperate here. lol

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Had starter tested twice at oreilys. passed. no the brake light does not come on. It ran fine then it stopped. never started again. my only wheels and I'm getting desperate here. lol

Have you checked the purple solenoid wire to make sure it's getting power when you hit the key?

uprdn84

Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Now here's where i seem to have a problem. the wire going to the solenoid is pink...... I'm under the impression this truck was jerry rigged. does any one have a schematic of the under hood wiring?

philjafo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 scottsdale
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205/d44/corp14
Pink, purple, fuscia if the wires been changed color won't matter. Unless of course if its not the right wire, check it for 12 volts while someone turns the key. How many studs are on the back of the solenoid? Some have 4 some have 3, if 4 its 2 big and 2 small, if 3 its 2 big and 1 small. If you've got the one with the 2 small studs the wire needs to be on the small stud closest to the block.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'll just tell you, just cuz O'Reilly's tested it and said it's good doesn't mean it's good. I had an O'R starter once, and KNEW it was the starter. Took it in for exchange, they tested it, and it was good. Took it back re installed it and thought, well, the battery is getting a little dated, so I bought a new battery. That fixed it. For about a week and then the same old ****. Again, took it back, tested it, it's good. A week later, I finally took it back and told the manager, this thing has GOT TO BE BAD. I just want another one. It's about 2 years old and I have a lifetime warranty, I have replaced the battery that it didn't need, replaced cables, tested the alternator etc, and anytime the battery drops below 12.5 volts this starter will NOT work, so I think it's drawing to much amperage and kiling my battery and not working. He tested it and say yeah, it's borderline on the draw so I'll replace it. Haven't had a problem since. But yeah, they tested it 3 times and it was good all 3 times.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
And when you say ignition switch, do you mean the ignition switch down on the column near the firewall, or the Key Tumbler??? How about the rod? Is it bent maybe? If it's bent, it will not have a reach to hit the start portion of the switch down on the column near the firewall.

uprdn84

Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Everything makes since. My starter is a 3 stud setup 2 big 1 small. Positive cable top post ignition wire to small post. I'm not drawing 12.5 anywhere on the truck. I'm only drawing 11.1. I use a screwdriver on the newly purchased ignition switch by the firewall put it all the way forward and nothing . Rod is not bent even with jumper cables on from my buddies 97 ram i still only draw 11.1 sounds stupied i know i can build custom motors but don't know dick about eclectical so am loosing it or i have lost it somewhere thanks for the help.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Now here's where i seem to have a problem. the wire going to the solenoid is pink...... I'm under the impression this truck was jerry rigged. does any one have a schematic of the under hood wiring?

PM sent.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD