WTF is going on......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Blue and green I am sure is for the reverse lights.

This is correct. You need to find the plug that has a purple and yellow wires going into it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
No power to the purple wire

Keep in mind, it should only have power with the key in the START position, meaning, you'll need someone to turn and hold the key in the Start/Crank position to test it.

Have you crossed the solenoid with a screwdriver? Go across the big terminal on the solenoid, to the top or under the terminal where the Purple wire should be connected. This is bypassing all your wiring and doing a direct cranking of the starter. If the key is in the ON positon so the ignition gets power, it would probably start if the motor cranked.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
You said you installed a new ignition switch right? Follow the yellow wire coming out of it and it should lead you to what we are trying to find here. Chripes I need a beer.....

uprdn84

Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Ill drink one for you.. lol be back let me follow the yellow wire.

uprdn84

Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Okay..... no purple and yellow plug in the truck. no yellow wire coming out of ignition switch. tried jumping starter manually. nothing......next.....damn.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Okay..... no purple and yellow plug in the truck. no yellow wire coming out of ignition switch. tried jumping starter manually. nothing......next.....damn.

I'll be calling you.

uprdn84

Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Purple. red pink hot pink orange brown and cream and white stripe. coming from ignition switch.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
My mistake, the yellow wire is for manual transmission. On the blue plug on the ignition switch, the purple wire coming out is the one that needs to run to the small post on starter. That is the wire that should show voltage only when the key is in the "Crank" position. I would just run a new wire from that point through the firewall and to the small post on the starter to eliminate that pieced together hack job wiring you described to me over the phone. Since that original wire is all spliced and pieced together half assed that throws up a big red flag to me. Also the fact that the 2 extra feed wires the go to the big post on the starter are missing also confuses me and points to even more customization by the previous owner. You also mention only getting any voltage readings showing 11+ volts? That should be plenty of voltage to crank that starter. Are you sure the red cable from the battery to the starter is in good condition? There could be corrosion in that cable at the ends hurting the amperage being pumped through the cable, even though it is showing good voltage at the other end.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
My mistake, the yellow wire is for manual transmission. On the blue plug on the ignition switch, the purple wire coming out is the one that needs to run to the small post on starter. That is the wire that should show voltage only when the key is in the "Crank" position. I would just run a new wire from that point through the firewall and to the small post on the starter to eliminate that pieced together hack job wiring you described to me over the phone. Since that original wire is all spliced and pieced together half assed that throws up a big red flag to me. Also the fact that the 2 extra feed wires the go to the big post on the starter are missing also confuses me and points to even more customization by the previous owner. You also mention only getting any voltage readings showing 11+ volts? That should be plenty of voltage to crank that starter. Are you sure the red cable from the battery to the starter is in good condition? There could be corrosion in that cable at the ends hurting the amperage being pumped through the cable, even though it is showing good voltage at the other end.

Those wire coming from the big post should have fusible links in line too, if not, you may want to grab some inline fuses.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
He says the 2 fusible linked wires are not even there at the starter and the purple wire is spliced and diced across the firewall. Just got off the phone with him again, the battery cable to the starter is brand new. I suggested a load test on the battery even though it is only 2 months old. I'm starting to get the feeling like HR said and it may be the starter even though it bench tests fine it aint cranking an engine over on the bench. Nah mean?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
He says the 2 fusible linked wires are not even there at the starter and the purple wire is spliced and diced across the firewall. Just got off the phone with him again, the battery cable to the starter is brand new. I suggested a load test on the battery even though it is only 2 months old. I'm starting to get the feeling like HR said and it may be the starter even though it bench tests fine it aint cranking an engine over on the bench. Nah mean?

what about ground? clamp a jumper to the starter case, and the other end to the neg post or block.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
How did it go last night, Steven? Did it start?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
what about ground? clamp a jumper to the starter case, and the other end to the neg post or block.

He said the ground looked fine. Only so much I can do over the phone, somebody messed with the wiring on this truck. I think he said he was going to try another starter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76